Posted July 16, 2014
The Exhibition Designer develops exhibition design from concept and planning through display, casing, and execution in collaboration with curators, bringing best practices, comparative analysis and new creative strategies to the table.
This role includes the capacity to support external consultants from case manufacturers to architects, designers, media consultants and other types of expertise to realize needs of display and exhibition experience and coordinate efforts. They should have experience creating phased design documents and comprehensive construction bid packages with complete instructions for estimation and execution and possess the technical and rendering skills (Photoshop, Vectorworks, etc.) to develop, present and test design ideas visually. This position is critical to establish support, invention and innovation in exhibition design. This person will collaborate with Design Managers to bring alternative or enhanced design potential to large scale shows, support designers in rendering, presentation model making skills and visual research. This person should also be available to support institutional projects that require rendering, three-dimensional thinking or visitor experience design.
Primary Responsibilities and Duties:
•Design from research and concept through execution/production supervision
• Prepare design document drawings, floor plans, detail drawings, case lists or schedules for internal museum reviews and construction bid documents
• Collaborate with exhibition design team to enhance design and realize exhibitions
• Construct models or mock ups for design and presentation purposes
• Coordinate fabrication with in-house or outside vendors when needed
• Share responsibilities with Design Managers during the final installation process of all major projects, installations, or exhibitions as assigned
• Other related duties
Requirements and Qualifications:
Experience and Skills:
• At least three to five years experience in exhibition design or industrial design are required
• Full knowledge of construction techniques, fabrication skills, materials, and project management
• Knowledge of Vectorworks, 3ds Max, Rhino, and/or CAD is required
• Strong organizational and design presentation skills
• Experience and knowledge of proper art handling procedures and art or object installation and display experience preferred
• Good communication skills and ability to function as part of a team
• Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously and meet deadlines
Knowledge and Education:
• B.A. degree in exhibition design, industrial design or equivalent field of work is required. MFA or MArch preferred.
• Modelmaking, good handcraft skills, and knowledge of construction techniques are required
• Museum exhibition design experience required
• Portfolio submission required
Please send cover letter, resume, and salary history to firstname.lastname@example.org with the position title in the subject line.