Provide curatorial and administrative support to the Curator of Contemporary Art
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
1. Assist the Curator in the management, study, cataloguing, and interpretation of the Contemporary collection.
2. Provide assistance and support on permanent collection installations and temporary exhibitions organized by the Curator, including research, interdepartmental coordination, planning movement of works of art, publication production, and budget tracking.
3. Manage internal and external communications for all Contemporary projects.
4. Author texts and didactic materials, including gallery labels, website content, and other materials, printed and online.
5. Maintain collection database for Contemporary collection and assist Curator in duties related to the acquisition, deaccession, or loan of objects for the collection.
6. Assist with coordination, communication, and scheduling for the Contemporary Art Society affiliate grou
7. Contribute to public programs in support of collection and exhibition initiatives through gallery talks and lectures; also assist Curator in related endeavors for various public programs.
8. Provide general administrative support, including coordinating Curator’s travel, processing mail, maintaining files.
9. Answer correspondence relating to collection; assist the public and visiting scholars.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
M.A. required in art history, curatorial/museum studies, or related field. At least one year of museum experience or equivalent demonstrable experience with other art institutions, galleries, or auction houses. Candidates should have excellent written, communication, and organizational skills as well as strong interest and knowledge of contemporary art. Aptitude in Microsoft applications such as Word, Outlook, Excel, Access, and PowerPoint required. Writings samples will be requested.
Ability to write correspondence and various texts for public audiences. Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to visitors and other employees. Must have strong proofreading and editing skills. Proficiency in at least one foreign language.
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES
Proven success operating standard computer software (Microsoft Office).
Exceptional organization, attention to detail, and interpersonal skills including telephone and e-mail etiquette.
Ability to effectively coordinate diverse projects, to prioritize multiple tasks, and work well with frequent interruptions.
Flexibility, dependability, and professional demeanor.
Demonstrated ability to appropriately handle confidential information.
Ability to work well independently and with others.
APPLY FOR THIS JOB
Contact Person: Human Resources Phone: n/a
Email Address: HR@imamuseum.org Fax: 317-920-2655