Posted August 11, 2014.
The Solomon R. Guggenheim Foundation is seeking a Director of Individual Giving, Membership and Annual Fund. The Director will report to the Deputy Director, Advancement and is responsible for the overall strategy and management of the Membership and Annual Fund programs for the Guggenheim Museum. The primary focus of this position is raising money and creating a strong environment to promote membership retention and growth.
Founded in 1937, the Solomon R. Guggenheim Foundation is dedicated to promoting the understanding and appreciation of art, primarily of the modern and contemporary periods, through exhibitions, education programs, research initiatives, and publications. The Guggenheim network that began in the 1970s when the Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum, New York, was joined by the Peggy Guggenheim Collection, Venice, has since expanded to include the Guggenheim Museum Bilbao (opened 1997) and the Guggenheim Abu Dhabi (currently in development). Looking to the future, the Guggenheim Foundation continues to forge international collaborations that take contemporary art, architecture, and design beyond the walls of the museum. More information about the foundation can be found at guggenheim.org.
This position supervises membership and annual fund staff and interns.
Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Design, oversee and effectively implement a membership and annual fund strategy and program for the acquisition and retention of members and annual fund donors at the Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum and Foundation.
• Create, track and report on membership, Patron and Young Collectors Council (YCC) level revenue and expenses. Work with outside consultants, Development Operations and IT staff on data input and reporting.
• Analyze and make data-driven decisions using newly-created reports and resulting analysis.
• Identify and encourage innovative and creative approaches for building membership program, upgrading members, and increasing annual fund support.
• Oversee coordination with the Museum’s Interactive, Web, Communications and Marketing staff. Develop all collateral messaging to members, supporters and prospects. Draft and edit direct marketing materials.
• Work with the Visitor Services department to create a strong museum visitor/member experience. Train retail and admissions staff on on-site membership needs, including registration, renewal and benefits.
• Coordinate and manage membership events and oversee a calendar of events intended to engage and steward members and donors.
• Manage strategy and implementation of Patrons and YCC donor constituencies.
• Cultivate relationships with existing and new members and engage them as potential donors and lifelong museum supporters.
• Work with volunteer leadership.
• Establish and oversee all operations, policies and procedures of the membership department.
Qualifications and Requirements:
• BA degree in Liberal Arts, Communications or related field. MA preferred.
• Minimum of 7-10 years of relevant experience, including managing a membership and annual fund program. Experience at a cultural institution a plus.
• Clear ability to analyze data and make recommendations for acquisitions, upgrade and retention activities and events.
• Measurable track record and demonstrated success in membership and annual fund and direct marketing experience.
• Understanding of marketing strategies to promote membership and to encourage retention and upgrades in membership.
• Excellent writing and editing ability a must.
• Budget and financial management experience.
• Significant supervisory experience.
• Good communication and interpersonal skills.
• Experience with donor related database packages required. Raiser’s Edge experience strongly preferred.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Excel required.
• Strong interest in the visual arts.
The Guggenheim offers a competitive salary and excellent medical, dental, life, disability and pension plan coverage. Our staff also enjoys generous vacation, sick leave and personal days, access to a variety of cultural institutions, discounts to museum stores and a stimulating and collegial work environment.
Qualified applicants please send your resume and cover letter, including salary expectations, to firstname.lastname@example.org. Indicate the job title “Director of Individual Giving, Membership and Annual Fund” in the subject line. Only those applicants who meet our requirements for this position will be contacted.
The Solomon R. Guggenheim Foundation is an equal opportunity employer.