Posted August 14, 2014
The Bronx Museum of the Arts (BXMA) is a contemporary art museum, founded in 1971 to serve the culturally diverse populations of the Bronx and the greater New York metropolitan area. The Museum has a long-standing commitment to increasing and stimulating audience participation in the visual arts through its permanent collection, special exhibitions, public and education programs. It introduces visitors to the dynamic and challenging voices that shape the contemporary arts field of both today and tomorrow. The Museum is a member of the Cultural Institutions Group of the City of New York.
The Education Department at the Bronx Museum of the Arts works as a catalyst for ideas and dialogue. We promote engaging and transformational art experiences with the goal of connecting the viewer’s personal experience with relevant areas in contemporary culture.
Position Title: In-School Museum Educator(s) (6th and 7th grade)
Status: Temporary part-time position
The Education department at the Bronx Museum of the Arts is hiring 2 Museum Educators for a fall partnership (October-December) with three sixth grade and three seventh grade classes at a middle school within walking distance of the Museum. The theme of the partnership is gaming. Students will learn basic gaming concepts while exploring contemporary art exhibitions at the museum. The 10-session program will begin with learning the basic concepts of games mechanics starting with board games and growing in sophistication to digital games. The sixth grade classes will culminate with students building an analog game and the seventh grade class will culminate with students building their own digital game. Sessions will grow in complexity as students learn how to apply gaming concepts. The In-School Museum Educators will be responsible for leading each of the six classes for ten sessions. A basic framework for the curriculum will be provided by the Museum. The In-School Museum Educator is required to use the gaming platform Gamestar Mechanic for the seventh grade classes, but other aspects will be flexible.
Essential Job Functions
• For the 6th grade lead three groups of 30 students (90 total) for 10 sessions (30 total) over the course of a three month period. Schedule to be agreed upon between the educator at the partnership school.
• For the 7th grade lead three groups of 30 students (90 total) for 10 sessions (30 total) over the course of a three month period. Schedule to be agreed upon between the educator at the partnership school.
• Act as the liaison between the school and the Museum- coordination museum visits and ensuring that teachers, school administrators are notified well in advance of said visits.
• Inspire students to discover the underlying structure of games and teach them how to identify similar concepts in the work of contemporary artists.
• Update the department blog on a regular basis
• At least 1-2 years experience working with middle school students with experience in museum education and digital technologies preferred.
• Knowledge of game theory and game building platforms such as Minecraft EDU, Gamesalad, Stencyl, etc.
• Basic knowledge of Gamestar Mechanic with a willingness to learn quickly (basic training can be arranged)
• Excellent interpersonal skills and phone etiquette.
• Ability to multitask and problem solve.
• Ability to prioritize tasks and excellent time management skills.
• Multi-lingual, preferred.
Please send a pdf of your cover letter, resume and two references, work sample with up to five projects of what you consider to be your strongest visual work (not your students’ work) to email@example.com with the subject line “In-School Educator”: YOUR LAST NAME”
The Bronx Museum of the Arts is an equal-opportunity employer and strongly encourages people of color, women, LGBTQ, and differently abled candidates to apply.