Posted August 15, 2014
The Bronx Museum of the Arts (BXMA) is a contemporary art museum, founded in 1971 to serve the culturally diverse populations of the Bronx and the greater New York metropolitan area. The Museum has a long-standing commitment to increasing and stimulating audience participation in the visual arts through its permanent collection, special exhibitions, public and education programs. It introduces visitors to the dynamic and challenging voices that shape the contemporary arts field of both today and tomorrow. The Museum is a member of the Cultural Institutions Group of the City of New York.
The Education Department at the Bronx Museum of the Arts works as a catalyst for ideas and dialogue. We promote engaging and transformational art experiences with the goal of connecting the viewer’s personal experience with relevant areas in contemporary culture.
The Education Department seeks a talented, motivated individual to join our small team of educators. This position is responsible for leading the development and implementation of video, multimedia and augmented reality strategies in support of one of the Museum’s after school education program with teenagers from October, 2014 to May, 2015. A positive, outgoing demeanor is essential, as well as excellent planning and organization skills.
Essential Job Functions
• Collaborate with museum staff and independent contractors to plan, support and implement augmented reality strategies for the teen after school program.
• Develop course ideas, schedules, and lesson plans.
• Collaborate and co-teach the program with the lead teaching artist.
• Be responsible for teaching the technology aspect of the program.
• Develop interactive interface and content in collaboration with the students and a teaching artist using platforms such as Aurasma.
• Create experiences for students that merge art making, education and technology
• Coordinate with Webmaster and IT Department to integrate new interactive concepts into the museum’s media lab and technology hub.
• Serve as prime developer for video content and assets management including production and post-production.
• Oversee all technological development projects from conception through completion
• Deliver finished product on time and on budget
• Ensure quality and consistency across all media.
Qualifications and Requirements
• Experience required in media production and digital project management, ideally for the visual arts, museums, cultural organizations, education or related field.
• Advanced degree with a concentration in digital media, visual art, augmented reality or moving image arts desired.
• Two years teaching experience minimum.
• Technical familiarity with media editing tools and software, such as Final Cut Pro, iMovie etc…
• Technical familiarity with augmented reality software and tools, such as Aurasma, Layar etc…
• Technical familiarity with open source image editing software and tools, such as GIMP, Inkscape.
• Communication and organizational abilities are essential
• Energy, enthusiasm, initiative, and innovation are key qualities for this position
• A collaborative and diplomatic team player with strong problem-solving and interpersonal skills
• Update the department blog on a regular basis
Please send a pdf of your cover letter, resume and two references, work sample with up to five projects of what you consider to be your strongest visual work (not your students’ work) to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Interactive Media Specialist / Teaching Artist”: YOUR LAST NAME”
No Phone calls please.
The Bronx Museum of the Arts is an equal-opportunity employer and strongly encourages people of color, women, LGBTQ, and differently abled candidates to apply.