Posted August 20, 2014.
The New Museum is the only museum in New York City exclusively devoted to contemporary art. Founded in 1977, the New Museum is a center for exhibitions, information, and documentation about living artists from around the world. From its beginnings as a one-room office on Hudson Street to the inauguration of its first freestanding building on the Bowery designed by SANAA in 2007, the New Museum continues to be a place of experimentation and a hub of new art and new ideas.
Job Profile & Qualifications
The Membership Associate plays an active role in the New Museum’s Development Department, providing support to a dynamic Membership program and front line service to a growing Member community. The ideal candidate is energetic, enthusiastic, friendly, and professional. Excellent written, oral, and social media communication skills are required. S/he must be detail oriented, adept at multi-tasking, and enjoy interacting and building relationships with prospective and current Members. A passion for contemporary art and a history of providing outstanding customer service is also key. Knowledge of Raisers Edge database and all Microsoft Office programs is essential. Knowledge of HTML, web-based texts, and previous event planning experience is recommended, but not required. This position reports to the Director of Membership and Membership Initiatives and works closely with two other associates in the Development Department, the Web Editor and Online Manager, and interns. BA degree and 1-2 years administrative experience in membership or development or other high-paced, high-level customer service industry required.
- Process all new and renewing Membership gifts with precision and timeliness in Raisers Edge.
- Coordinate fulfillment of all Membership joins, renewals, and upgrades, and ensure speedy delivery of benefits. Acknowledge all Membership gifts.
- Be an accessible and outgoing point of contact for all Member and potential Member related inquiries via phone, mail, email, and social media.
- Assist the Director of Membership and Membership Initiatives in all aspects of Membership event coordination and RSVPs (some nights and weekends are required).
- Be an active voice on social media promoting Membership, help create inventive marketing campaigns, and support press efforts for Membership events.
- Develop mailing lists for Membership campaigns and events using Raisers Edge.
- Assist all front-line Membership staff (Visitor Services and Store) on matters relating to Membership promotions and onsite signage.
- Create Membership promotional email blasts and invitations, ensuring approvals are secured, and maintain event listings across the Museum.
- Assist with preparation of monthly reports by collecting data from Raiser’s Edge.
- Assist with Member prospect research and track results in Raiser’s Edge.
- Handle clerical duties including filing, photocopying and other paperwork.
- Manage the fulfillment of complimentary Memberships for artists, companies, and other VIPs.
- Assist in managing vendor relations and accounts including the USPS, printing houses, mail houses, and other vendors.
Candidates should send a resume, at least 2 references, and a writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please no phone calls. You will be contacted if chosen for an interview.