The Smithsonian has more resources than most of us can dream of, but what really impresses me is the way in which they put their resources to work. Their blogs are fantastic. They mix in stories from interns, volunteers, donors, curators, registrars, and many other staff members to present the whole story of an institution devoted to making the world a better, more-educated place.
Case in point: this post about the evolution of design in the First Ladies exhibit, one of the most popular at the National Museum of American History. Look at those old-style cases!
The AAM Annual Meeting Fellowship opportunities have been posted at
The following fellowships offer a travel stipend (at least $750), complimentary conference registration, and tickets to the fellowship breakfast and other selected events.
1. Diversity Fellowships support professional growth and retention of under-represented professionals in the museum field.
2. Emerging Museum Professional (EMP)
Fellowships are available to those in the first 10 years of their career in the museum field.
3. Mid-Career Professional Network Fellowships are available for individuals working in one of the following capacities:
audience research and evaluation
development and membership
diversity and inclusion
exhibit development and design
media and technology
museum administration and management
museum professional training
public relations and marketing
small museum administration.
Applications will be selected by the leadership of AAM’s Professional Networks.
Applications must be post-marked by Jan. 31, 2012.
You should also check out this blog post from the AAM EMP blog, which offers a few tips and suggestions about applying
Ah, the internet, which can take anything and turn it into an endlessly hilarious, self-replicating meme.
In other news, Ryan Gosling apparently really loves museums.
As always, jobs go up right away on their own page.
- Chief Educator [Intrepid Air & Space Museum]Chief Educator, Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum The Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum is one of America’s leading historic, cultural and educational institutions. Opened in 1982, the Museum, anchored aboard the former USS Intrepid, a natio…
- Associate Educator, High School Programs [New Museum]ASSOCIATE EDUCATOR, HIGH SCHOOL PROGRAMS, New Museum *Position Description ASSOCIATE EDUCATOR, HIGH SCHOOL PROGRAMS* The Associate Educator is responsible for executing programs designed for high school teachers and students, including existing…
- Internship [Childs Gallery]Internship Opportunity Childs Gallery is looking for an intern who is able to work 2-3 times a week for 4-8 hours at a time. The length and hours of the internship can be tailored to the individual needs of the intern. We strongly prefer a commitmen…
- Visitor Services Positions [Ohio Historical Society]The Visitor Experience Department of the Ohio Historical Society is responsible for school programs, public program, interpretive services and front line staff. There are three positions open in that department:**** ** ** Coordinator of Progr…
- Internship Opportunities [Art Beyond Sight]Art Beyond Sight, a remarkable organization that works on art education for the visually impaired, has two potential projects for interns. Neither requires a move to New York City; both can be done remotely. 1. White Papers on Access and Inclusion: …
- Manager of Family Programs [Museum of Fine Arts, Boston]Job Type: Staff Under the direction of the Head of Gallery Learning, this position develops, coordinates and facilitates gallery learning experiences for families with young children. In this role he/she designs and implements family learning …
- Director for Learning and Interpretation [DeCordova Sculpture Park and Museum]Director for Learning and Interpretation, DeCordova Sculpture Park and Museum DeCordova Sculpture Park and Museum is seeking a Director of, or Deputy Director for Learning and Interpretation (DLI). The exact title will be dependent on experience …