As an educational and cultural nonprofit institution, the Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum promotes the awareness and understanding of history, science and service through its collections, exhibitions and programming in order to honor our heroes, educate the public and inspire our youth. Located in New York City on the Hudson River, the Intrepid Museum was founded in 1982 with the acquisition of the legendary aircraft carrier Intrepid, a National Historic Landmark. Welcoming one million visitors annually, the Museumalso features the space shuttle Enterprise, the world’s fastest jets and a guided missile submarine.
We are seeking a creative, organized, energetic and well-spoken individual who, as a full time Museum Educator, will deliver education programming centering on the Museum’s mission to promote the awareness of history, science and service to pre K-12 students, adults and families, especially those who have cognitive, physical, sensory, and emotional-behavioral disabilities. An understanding of NYC DOE, New York State, Common Core Learning Standards, and Next Generation Science Standards is required. This position will report to the Manager of Access Programs in the Education Department.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- The delivery and evaluation of interdisciplinary programs for K-12 students, adults, and families, including individuals with cognitive, physical, sensory, and emotional-behavioral disabilities.
- Assisting with department-wide weekday, weekend, and evening educational programs, including workshops, classes, seminars, demonstrations and public programs.
- Represent the Museum and its work in the field of education at professional conferences and public fairs as appropriate.
- Collaborating closely with colleagues within the Education Department as well as professional staff in curatorial, development, and museum services departments.
- Other duties as required by management.
Special Projects Specific to this Position:
- Extensive communication with classroom teachers and group leaders prior to the group’s scheduled visit.
- Coordinate requests for accommodations, oversee registration for specialized access programs, and respond to inquiries from the general public regarding accessibility.
- Collaborate with Education Coordinator to ensure clarity of scheduling and staffing of Access programs.
- Lead outreach efforts to schools, community organizations and individual families to cultivate new relationships and maintain existing partnerships.
- Oversee data input and record keeping for programs and educational materials.
Qualified candidates will have a BA or BS in Education, History, Science or related field. Preferred candidates will have an MA in Education, Museum Education, Special Education or related field. Candidates must have a minimum 1-2 years of experience developing and delivering programs in museums or other educational venues and a minimum 1-2 years of experience with program coordination and/or community outreach in a cultural setting (can be concurrent). The successful candidate will be an enthusiastic team member with strong written and verbal communication skills who is able to work collaboratively across departments and with outside contacts. Ideal candidates must have demonstrated skills in prioritizing, organizing projects, and multi-tasking, a demonstrated ability to employ systems that enhance maximum efficiency for the benefit of staff and the public and a mature, flexible and professional demeanor both in presentation and actions. Ability to work evenings and weekends required as is proof of prior DOE fingerprinting or willingness to be fingerprinted.
We offer a competitive salary for this position and the opportunity to be a part of a very rewarding time in the Museum’s history.
For consideration, e-mail cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Be sure to include the title of the position you are interested in. NO PHONE CALLS.
Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum is an equal opportunity employer.