*Teacher Education Coordinator/Supervising Instructor *
*DEPARTMENT*: Children’s Education
*REPORTS TO*: Manager of School Programs
*PRIMARY OBJECTIVE*: Responsible for the development, coordination, and
implementation of programs and materials for pre-service and in-service
teachers of all grades, pre-K-12 students.
* Coordinate BBG’s participation in city-wide Urban Advantage (UA) program
to train middle school teachers in science methodologies. Collaborate with
BBG’s other Teacher Education staff and with staff at UA partner
institutions and the NYC DOE to plan and deliver professional development
workshops and events for teachers, school administrators, students, and
families at the garden and other locations throughout the city.
* Coordinate and instruct workshops and course series developed by BBG for
pre-service and in-service teachers on plant related topics, including a 30
hour professional development course for NYC DOE teachers. Maintain records
for participant enrollment and attendance and mailing lists of former and
potential students. Develop new course topics as appropriate.
* Respond to requests for customized professional development programs for
formal educators; develop and instruct custom workshops as appropriate.
* Coordinate observations of BBG programs by pre-service teachers.
* Assist with development of new materials and activities to support guided
and unguided visits to BBG by school classes and informal children’s groups.
* Assist with the development and delivery of training for BBG volunteers
* Participate in the maintenance of BBG’s Education Greenhouses
* Assist with program instruction for children and families, public
programs, Garden-wide special events, and events in the community
* Supervision of seasonal instructors and volunteers when working in
children’s programs or special events
* Performs other related duties or special projects as directed.
* BA or BS degree (Master’s preferred) in a formal or informal field of
* Certification as a teacher
* Significant education or training in one or more fields of science
* Minimum of four years experience as an educator, including experience in
a formal classroom setting; direct experience working with children
* Excellent interpersonal skills for working with teachers, school
administrators, children, BBG staff and professional colleagues
* Excellent writing and speaking skills
* Competence with computer word processing, spreadsheets, internet, etc.
* Excellent organizational and leadership skills
* Ability to work outside and in greenhouses year-round
* Must be available to work frequent evenings and weekends