The Museum of Arts and Design (MAD), the country’s premier contemporary institution exploring the intersection of craft, design and art, seeks an energetic membership professional to join the Membership team. The Museum is the country’s preeminent institution dedicated to the collection and exhibition of contemporary objects from these disciplines created in a variety of media.
The Membership Manager will oversee the Museum’s dynamic general membership program (up to $1,000), the MAD Contemporaries (the young patron’s membership group), and organization of member events and benefits. The Manager will be responsible for developing and implementing creative strategies for the acquisition, stewardship and retention of Museum members, as well as the advancement of members to higher level categories, and for expanding online platforms for outreach. The position manages two membership staff and works in close coordination with the Major Gifts and Special Events team; the position reports to the VP for External Affairs.
The successful candidate will be an independent thinker with out-of-the-box ideas, a sense of humor and a collaborative spirit, and will bring fresh thinking about how to evolve and extend membership outreach online, in print, and in person. Position requires excellent writing, communications and organizational skills; ability to work both independently and in a team; and ability to think creatively and strategically.
- Development and implementation of creative strategies to retain and steward existing members, upgrade members to higher categories, and grow the overall membership base through online and direct mail outreach, relationship building, face-to-face solicitation, telephone contact and follow-up.
- Development and implementation of expanded platforms for online outreach for the acquisition, stewardship and retention of members, as well as annual appeals and other fundraising activities.
- Organization of special events and programs that create opportunities for members and prospects to connect with the Museum and its mission; solicit members to participate; attend all events and trips and engage participating members.
- Creation of marketing partnerships and special programs to enhance membership benefits.
- Relationship building and prospecting online, by mail, in person and by telephone.
- Research of prospective members and individual donors.
- Collaborating with staff in other departments to develop and implement strategies to grow donors and members; manage follow-up to ensure maximum prospect engagement from each event, track results from all events.
- Development and management of annual income strategies and budgets from solicitation and direct mail efforts;
- Assessment and reporting on performance of membership appeals and events on a quarterly basis.
- Creation of membership materials, including Annual Fund and direct mail appeals, , renewal and acquisition appeals, and acknowledgments.
- Manage two membership staff members; work collaboratively with Special Events and Major Gifts teams, as well as other development staff.
- Manage process for member appeals, renewals, and acquisitions.
- As requested, help create materials for board committees and attend meetings.
Candidates must have:
- A minimum 5 years of full-time non-profit membership experience, preferably in an arts setting.
- Proven track record of success in membership, individual giving and marketing, including development and implementation of online, in person and in print direct marketing and individual engagement; extensive online experience required.
- Strong analytical skills in tracking and evaluating outreach outcomes.
- Strong writing and interpersonal skills.
- Professional, friendly demeanor and interest in building interpersonal relationships with staff, artists, donors, and prospects.
- Experience in engaging with donors and prospective donors.
- Raisers Edge or other comparable database knowledge and experience.
Individual/Prospect research experience and creation of prospect profiles .
- Ability to remain flexible and focused in a demanding work environment and to prioritize deadlines and assignments effectively.
Candidates will also demonstrate a commitment to the Museum’s mission, to working to advance its position within the New York City cultural landscape and an ability to advocate effectively for the Museum and its goals in professional and social settings.
Position available June 1.
Please send a cover letter and resume to: email@example.com, and note “Membership Manager” in the subject line. Calls will not be accepted. Only qualified applicants will be contacted.