MIT Museum Temporary Position Announcement
Assistant Exhibit Developer/Project Manager
Full time, temporary position, starting February 1, 2014or ASAP, through June 30, 2014, with the possibility of extension
Hourly rate, depending on experience, in range of $25/hour
(Position will be a MITemp through NextSource)
Working for the Director of Exhibitions, this position will support the development of a set of exhibits planned to open late in 2014, focused on scientific imaging, current and classic. The planned modular exhibits each combine interactive experiences in art and science, with informational displays and artifacts from the museum’s collections.
Key responsibilities include:
• Participate in collaborative brainstorming and concept development
• Conduct content research, including discussions with researchers and museum curators, researching collections holdings and background information, and fact checking
• Assist with the development of working prototypes for interactive exhibits
• Work with the public to test prototypes and conduct formative evaluation
• Handle logistics and project management, including keeping track of schedules, communication internally and with a range of vendors and sub-contractors
• Assist the Director of Exhibitions with a range of office support including: ordering materials and supplies, scheduling meetings, proofreading documents, etc.
• Other tasks as assigned
• 3+ years experience in developing hands-on science or art exhibits for museums
• Knowledge/experience conducting formative evaluation
• Experience with project management on projects involving multiple staff and sub-contractors
• Strong organizational and communication skills
• Ability to work with the public in a professional, engaging and thoughtful way
• Science background and ability to communicate with scientists in a variety of fields
• degree in related field
• Ability/experience communicating with the public about science/art in an involving, accurate and engaging manner
• Familiarity with conducting exhibit content research, including ability to access and summarize research papers, and to write carefully referenced background research documents
to To apply:
• Send cover letter, resume and professional references to Katie Porter, MIT Museum, email@example.com. Materials will be reviewed as received until position is filled. No calls please.
• Cover letter should include a description of relevant projects you have worked on, including project management experience, your philosophy of museum education and approach to exhibit development.
• If possible send links or digital photos of exhibits/prototypes you have developed. Physical portfolio materials can not be returned.