The Events Coordinator will oversee every aspect of a private event, including reserving event space, permit and license processing, contracting and recommending event set-up, and event operations. S/he will work closely with vendors to assure communication is consistent, payments are on time, and guests are satisfied. The Events Coordinator will report to the Director of Guest Relations & Operations and work closely with other team members in the operations and sales departments.
Major Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Oversees all aspects of private events from the contract development stage to event execution and final payment.
- Functionally supervises all event support staff including set-up crews, third party vendors, guest service personnel, housekeeping, and other support staff that is assigned to the private event.
- Ensures the set-up of chairs, tables, decorations and other equipment is in accordance with the client agreement/contract, safety standards and fire and health codes.
- Works with third party vendors on procurement of services, scheduling, contracting, payment and commissions.
- Assists with the booking and coordination of large group admissions to the Museum.
- Manages the group sales function in the Altru database management system, coordinating event space availability, resource needs, attendance and payment clearance.
- Performs financial duties associated with final settlement such as additional charges and final invoice.
- Prepares and updates private event orders of event details and distributes them to all necessary Museum departments.
- Works closely with the Director of Guest Relations and Operations on securing required permits and licenses. Ensures all vendors are licensed and proper state or city permits are submitted prior to the private event. Acts as the liaison between the Museum, the city permitting office and health department.
- Performs site visits with contracted clients.
- Recommends upgrades to enhance the private event such as branding opportunities, lighting packages, entertainment and other enhancements. Calculates additional revenue and provides clients all estimates of additional costs in writing.
- Manages broker relationships, including communicating rate changes, early closures and blackout dates. Reconciles sales each month and collects payment.
- Explains policies and procedures for the use of the Museum to clients.
- Takes beginning and ending inventory of event items such as rental equipment and in house audio–visual
- Submits a profit and loss statement for each private event that includes line items such as catering, rentals and Museum rental fee.
- Demonstrates continuous effort to improve operations, decrease cost, streamline work processes and work cooperatively and jointly with other Museum departments to provide seamless customer service.
- Other duties as assigned.
Experience / Qualifications / Requirements:
- Must have at least 3 years of administrative or event coordination experience.
- Must be willing to work nights, evenings and weekends as necessary.
- Must be able to interact effectively with individuals at all levels of the organization, as well as a diverse array of clients.
- Must be able to work well under pressure and remain flexible to changing needs of clients and Museum operation.
- Strong database management skills.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint are necessary.
- Sound knowledge of common administrative procedures and standard office equipment.
- Superior organization skills; judgment necessary to prioritize, deflect, and route tasks.
- Must have excellent written and oral communication skills; ability to consistently apply correct grammar and usage.
- Strong interpersonal skills, including substantial poise and diplomacy are a must.
- Must have the discretion and tact necessary to handle sensitive and confidential situations. High integrity and strong ethical character a must.
- Passion for participating in the creation of a world-class museum that is unrivaled in content and recognized for a truly outstanding guest experience.
- Eagerness for solving problems and a commitment to accepting responsibility.
Education: Bachelor’s Degree desired, but equivalent experience will be considered.
Pay Rate: Depends on experience; range begins at $35,000/year.