Posted June 25, 2014
As a member of the Department of Education and Engagement at the Utah Museum of Fine Arts, the Coordinator of Educator Programs develops resources and manages programs to engage and support K-12 Educators in the region and statewide. This position also serves as a liaison between the UMFA and educators. This is a .8 FTE position working an average of 32 hours/week.
1. Develop Educator Resources and Programs 40%
• Develop teacher resources to parallel curricula of K-12 outreach and tour programs, including lesson plans, teacher’s guides, etc.
• Work with art objects to develop resource kits that include hands-on components and that examine art objects within thematic frameworks.
• Develop classroom presentations to be delivered by UMFA educators.
• Maintain organization of department’s education collection of art objects.
• Collaborate closely with Assistant Curator of Education for Public School Programs and Statewide Outreach on related programs.
2. Develop and Manage Events for Educators 20%
• Manage on-site teacher programs that are eligible for teacher professional development credits.
• Develop content and format for educator events and trainings, including resource kits and pedagogical support materials. Communicate with artists, curators, and other partners in the development of these events. Arrange for presenters, plan all aspects of events.
3. Deliver Trainings and Presentations 25%
• Deliver in-museum and off-site trainings for educators (K-12, docents, pre-service teachers, etc.) regarding object-based learning, arts integration, UMFA exhibitions, and UMFA teacher resources.
• Deliver occasional classroom presentations to students using UMFA resources to assess those resources and to assist department efforts.
• Pursue opportunities to deliver these presentations in schools; schedule and prepare for visits.
• Occasional travel will be required, including rare overnights.
4. Report and Communicate about Programs 5%
• Communicate with State Office of Education to communicate about programs and to arrange for awarding of professional development credits to K-12 educators; maintain records.
• Maintain database of all participants; compile data for reports.
5. Partner with University Departments and K-12 Educators 5%
• Develop and maintain relationships and partnerships with K-12 educators.
• Facilitate collaborations with University of Utah Departments of Education, Art Education, and others to engage and provide resources for pre-service teachers.
6. Other Duties 5%
• Represents the Department of Education and Engagement on exhibition planning teams; plans and executes exhibition-related educational programming as assigned.
• Supports Education and Engagement programs, including docent trainings, university programs, and family events.
• Collaborates across Museum departments to support collective efforts.
• Oversees annual budget for main duties under the supervision of the Director of Education and Engagement.
Three years experience as a classroom assistant in a related academic area, or equivalency; knowledge and understanding of a variety of teaching methods in order to adjust activities/training session to include participants of different ages; a thorough knowledge of related academic subjects in order to participate in developing classroom activities/programs; and demonstrated knowledge of teaching methods and communication skills to conduct educational activities and/or training sessions in a clear and concise manner required. Demonstrated human relation and effective communication skills are also required.
Applicants must demonstrate the potential ability to perform the essential functions of the job as outlined in the position description.
• Bachelor’s degree in Education, Art, Art History, Anthropology, or related field; Master’s degree preferred.
• Experience teaching and/or working with K-12 teachers.
• Knowledge of the Utah State Core Curriculum.
• Knowledge of relevant pedagogical trends, i.e. cross-disciplinary, dialogical, and object-based learning.
• Experience writing curricula and developing educational programs.
• Art knowledge and familiarity, facility in discussing art objects and exhibitions.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills, strong written grammar.
• Appreciation of arts integration and interdisciplinary perspectives.
• Excellent organization and problem-solving skills.
• Ability to work independently.
• Ability to collaborate with other Museum staff and educators.
• Creative thinker, professional demeanor.
• General office and computer skills (i.e. Microsoft Office, Adobe).
Type Benefited Staff
This position may require the successful completion of a criminal background check and/or drug screen.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of Utah is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer. Upon request, reasonable accommodations in the application process will be provided to individuals with disabilities. Please contact the Office of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action, 201 S. Presidents Cr., Rm 135, (801) 581-8365 (V/TDD), for further information or to request an accommodation. The University of Utah is committed to diversity in its workforce. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.
The University is a participating employer with Utah Retirement Systems (“URS”). To be eligible for retirement contributions, you must be hired into a benefit-eligible position. Certain new hires are automatically assigned to the URS retirement plan and other employees with prior URS service, may elect to enroll in URS within 30 days of hire. Regardless of whether they are hired into a benefit-eligible position or not, individuals who previously retired and are receiving monthly retirement benefits from URS must notify the Benefits Department upon hire. Please contact Utah Retirement Systems at (801) 366-7770 or (800) 695-4877 or the University’s Benefits Department at (801) 581-7447 for information.
Special Instructions Summary
To apply, please send a resume and a targeted cover letter that briefly explains your philosophy about art-based learning.
Review of applications will begin immediately. Position will remain open until filled.