The Tufts Museum Studies blog is always open to new contributors, but as the new school year rolls around, we are actively recruiting. The blog is authored and managed by current students — alumni and experienced museum professionals are welcome to contribute guest posts.
Students, whether you are brand-new to Tufts this Fall or you’ve been around for a while, consider writing a stand-alone blog post or a column. Columns can be weekly, monthly, you name it. You can work with others or on your own. If you prefer to create photo collages or some other media rather than writing, we’re open to that, too!
Feel free to browse the archives for inspiration. Here are some topics that have been covered on the blog in the past, but aren’t being covered on a regular basis now. You are welcome to pick up one of these and make it the theme of your own column or blog post, or start from scratch!
- Museums in the News
- Book reviews and recommendations
- The future of museums
- Interviews with museum professionals
- Museum reviews
- Science Museums — we haven’t had a column on history museums, art museums, or children’s museums before, but it would be welcome, too
Congratulations to our outgoing blog manager, Phillippa Pitts, who graduated from Tufts with a Master’s in Art History and Museum Studies this spring.
Regular readers of the blog will know me, Tegan, as the author of the monthly column “The Wider World.” I’m going to be managing the blog this year. As in the past, you can send questions, inquiries about doing a column or guest post, and other communication that you don’t want to just leave in the comments to me at firstname.lastname@example.org. Of course, if you have a response to a post here, you are always welcome to leave a comment.
As many of the students who have contributed to the blog this past year have now graduated, now’s an excellent time to get involved with the blog if you are interested! Shoot me an email if you want to write a guest post or a column. You can write columns weekly, bi-weekly, monthly, or on a schedule you propose. You can share column-writing duties with another student interested in the same topic, or do your own thing. Drop me a line!
Happy 2013, all!
After a semester getting my grad school sea-legs I’m excited to announce some new changes to the blog. We’ve launched a plan to get more content from more authors to better represent the diversity that is the Tufts Museum Studies programs. So, what you can expect is a new schedule and some new voices on the blog.
As you may have noticed, Museums in the News was published last night. This will now be a Sunday feature in our new line-up:
- Monday: Alumna Madeline Karp will regale us with Dispatches from the Mid-Atlantic chronicling her museum adventures, the articles she reads, her perspective on goofing off in galleries and all the ways that she’s putting her Museum Education MA to good use.
- Wednesday: Current students Cathy Sigmond, Cira Louise Brown and Kacie Rice will explore their experiences and investigations into how science museums tick. They’ll be kicking off this week with an introduction, then jumping in to alternate columns each week to give a variety of approaches and perspectives.
- Friday: Watch out for our Weekly Jobs Round-Up! Although we’re by no means a comprehensive listing of jobs in the museum field, check our weekly blast for the latest jobs that we’ve heard of that we think are in need of a Tufts student/grad.
- Sunday: Keep up to date with Museums in the News, the top stories about museums published in newspapers and magazines outside the field. We try to grab from a broad geographic and subject pool, and it’ll keep you in the loop.
Also watch out for occasional columns, including my own, Box? What Box?, which will highlight museums who are pushing the edge, new ideas for technology, or articles of interest.
If you’d like to write for the blog, or you have comments, questions, ideas, or random posts, articles, or cartoons to send our way, don’t hesitate to email us at email@example.com
Happy New Year, everyone!
So sorry for the gap in posting over the last week – I’ve been in Minneapolis attending AAM’s Annual Meeting.
I’ll be catching up over today with great new job postings, new museums in the news articles, and stay tuned over the next week for review posts from AAM, summaries of recent NEMA workshops, and an exciting blog contest through the summer.
So sorry for the Hurricane Irene-related snafus over the weekend. The Museums in the News and Jobs Listing posts are now fully updated, so go check them out!