The Noguchi Museum
The Noguchi Museum is seeking a full-time Education Assistant.
The Isamu Noguchi Foundation and Garden Museum is devoted to the
preservation, documentation, presentation, and interpretation of the work of
Isamu Noguchi. The Museum, the first in America established by a living
artist dedicated to his own work, contains the world’s richest holdings of
Noguchi’s art. The Museum actively seeks to provide knowledge, inspiration,
and stimulation for its current audiences, and at the same time to attract
new audiences and to provide an accessible resource for future generations.
The Noguchi Museum’s Education Department encourages and supports visitors
in forming a personal connection to the art, life, and vision of Isamu
Noguchi. In light of the philosophy of Isamu Noguchi, we particularly see
the Education Department as a resource to visitors, educators, and others
interested in an expanded concept of sculpture. In addition, The Noguchi
Museum’s Education Department invests in individuals, attending to each and
every program participant, as well as in the Museum’s local community, Long
The Education Assistant reports to the Head of Education; her/his
* Supporting the Head of Education in the development and administration of
programs, in particular logistical and administrative work
* Program coordination and communication with constituents and educators,
– Scheduling, sending confirmation emails, and arranging all group visits
to the Museum;
– Responding to telephone and email inquiries about the Museum (including
but not limited to queries related to education);
– Sharing relevant Museum materials with educators and other interested
– Maintaining an Access database of past and upcoming visits and contact
people for group visits;
– Scheduling freelance educators for on- and off-site programs, and
communicating with educators about these programs;
– Registering participants for family programs such as Art for Families and
Art for Tots.
* Maintenance of the Education Room, including:
– Managing and maintaining the inventory of education supplies, classroom
and storage spaces;
– Collaborating with Facilities Department to ensure upkeep of room;
– Planning and installing exhibitions of student work in the Museum’s
* Communication with constituents, including:
– Updating the Education section of the Museum’s website;
– Sending e-blasts to educators, teens, and families;
– Maintaining and posting on the Noguchi Teens facebook site.
* Communication with other Museum departments, including:
– Tracking statistics and numbers for use in grant proposals and other
– Creating and sharing a weekly schedule of education programs
– Participating in staff meetings and in the Museum’s Web committee
– Teaching in the galleries.
– Supervising high school interns placed at The Noguchi Museum through
Explore the Arts.
– Contribute to the writing and design of promotional and educational
Candidates must have:
* Excellent organizational skills and the ability to complete complex
administrative tasks efficiently and well.
* A demonstrated interest in museum education, including an interest in
leading tours and other programs and in considering best practices in museum
* Excellent communication skills, in particular the ability to assist
teachers and families in person and on the phone, and to work well with
educators and other colleagues, as well as the ability to work well with
* Knowledge of Excel, MS Word, Access, and other basic office software.
* Knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite software and good design skills.
* An interest in working with and learning about the art of Isamu Noguchi.
* The ability to work in an open space environment.
In addition, preference will be given to candidates who possess:
* An MA degree in museum education, visual art (MFA), art education, art
history, or a related field.
* Experience working in museums, in particular in the education department
of an art museum.
* Experience with art materials, either as a teacher or in their own
* Good writing skills.
* Administrative and customer service experience.
* Flexibility, self-motivation, the ability to think creatively, and a
sense of humor.
Competitive salary and benefits package.
Please send resume, cover letter and salary requirements to:
The Noguchi Museum
32-37 Vernon Boulevard
Long Island City, NY 11106
Or email firstname.lastname@example.org
The Noguchi Museum is an equal opportunity employer, and does not
discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual
orientation, national origin, ancestry, age, marital status, citizenship
status, veteran status, disability or any other criterion specified by
federal, state or local laws, in the administration of its employment