Tag: online computer library center
Research Assistant, Wikipedian in Residence
|Apply for this job
|Your application choices are:
We participate in E-Verify for jobs located in the U.S. For more information, please see
E-Verify information in English or E-Verify information in Spanish.
SHARE THIS JOB WITH YOUR NETWORK
|More information about this job
|OCLC Online Computer Library Center, Inc. is a nonprofit, membership, computer library service and research organization dedicated to the public purposes of furthering access to the world’s information and reducing information costs. Tens of thousands of libraries around the world use OCLC services to locate, acquire, catalog, lend and preserve library materials. OCLC Research is currently seeking candidates for a Research Assistant, Wikipedian in Residence position for Summer 2012 at the OCLC San Mateo, California office.
Duration of position: Three (3) months
Work schedule: 32 to 40 hours a week. This is a paid position; compensation commensurate with experience.
Comments: The position may satisfy graduate student internship requirements in library science or allied fields. Student status is not a requirement.
|The Wikipedian in Residence will work as a community coordinator and strengthen the relationship between OCLC, library stakeholders, and the Wikipedian community through a range of activities.
- Outreach to OCLC staff and OCLC member libraries to explain Wikipedia’s practices; could include brown bag training sessions, webinars, and workshops with OCLC employees and libraries in the OCLC Research Library Partnership, and outreach to public libraries through WebJunction.
- Promote and participate in new or existing WikiProjects related to increasing access to library collections and services.
- Organize special events, such editing challenge days, for the Wikipedian community; and sharing the experience with the Wikipedian community and the public via videos, newsletter articles, or blog posts on our blog, HangingTogether.
- Work with OCLC’s Developer Network to find synergies between OCLC web services, applications and community and look for points of connection between Wikipedia community and the library coding community.
- Examine statistical data related to traffic from Wikimedia websites to the OCLC services;
- Contribute to a case study about on being the first Wikipedian in Residence to work in a non profit setting and potentially speak at Wikimania in July 2012.
- A registered Wikipedian/Wikimedian in good standing.
- Able to commit to the hours required for the duration of the project.
- Comfortable with both the behind-the-scenes editing and with presenting information to a general audience.
- Is eager to help make the connections between library collections and services and the Wikipedia community!
- MLIS, or a Masters degree in an allied field, such as museum studies.
- Experience using archival or library collections to conduct original research.
Switch to our mobile site