DIRECTOR OF EDUCATION
SUPERVISOR: Co-Executive Directors
STATUS: Full time, Exempt
The Mattress Factory, a museum of contemporary art located in Pittsburgh,
Pennsylvania, and hailed as the best facility for Installation Art in the
United States, seeks an experienced and creative professional to lead its
Education Department. The Education Director will articulate, guide and
manage the goals and objectives of the Mattress Factory Education
Department, supervise one full-time Education Programs Coordinator, and
develop and manage programs, activities and interpretive materials that
educate and engage the museum’s diverse public and respond to an
internationally-renowned contemporary art permanent collection and residency
program. The Education Director will develop and oversee all education
programs of the institution. The Education Director is a senior member of
the staff and is integral to developing a public understanding of
contemporary installation art.
– Serve as a catalyst for connecting museum audiences to the creative
practice of living artists and the issues and ideas that surround the
creation of contemporary Installation Art by imagining, managing and
evaluating education materials and resources, robust public programs,
outreach materials and projects, teacher professional development, events
for families and children, and tour programs.
– Articulate the historical context of installation art, the creative
process of the resident artists and the Mattress Factory mission to
students, teacher groups, the academic community, museum members, the
general public and families.
– Oversee management of the museum’s Education Department staff, consisting
of one full-time Education Programs Coordinator and 10 Museum Educators.
– Manage all aspects of the education department budget.
– Advise Museum Development Department in defining education programs that
have funding potential and that meet criteria for grants.
– Collect and organize data for proposals and final reports.
– Meet with current and potential funders as needed.
– Oversee implementation of grants and programs related to education to
assure that grant requirements are being implemented in a timely manner and
that funds are being spent within the grant guidelines.
– Seek to establish partnerships with other organizations in the community
that may enhance Mattress Factory programs.
– Works closely with PR and Marketing Manager, Development staff,
Exhibitions Manager, Visitor Services staff, Director of Operations, and the
– Work weekend and evening events, as needed.
– Conduct guided museum tours and workshops.
– Bachelor’s degree in art, art history, museum/art education, or a related
field is required.
– Teaching certificate and/or Master’s degree in art, education or related
– At least 5 years museum/arts organization experience is required.
– Must have demonstrated experience working with teachers and students,
managing public programs in art/cultural organizations or museums, and
knowledge of contemporary art practices and art history.
– Minimum 2 years of supervisory experience required.
– Familiarity with Mac platforms preferred.
– PA Criminal History and Child Abuse Clearances required.
Send resume, cover letter and three references to Catena Bergevin, Director
of Operations, at firstname.lastname@example.org<mailto:email@example.com>. No phone
calls please. This position will be available after February 18, 2012.