Let Me Introduce Myself, and Your CSA Abundance

Let’s back up a little. My name is Angel, and I’m interning here at New Entry for the summer. I connected with this organization through the Friedman School of Nutrition at Tufts University. This fall, I will be starting a grad program in Agriculture, Food, and Environment at Tufts with hopes to build stronger food systems here in the US.
One of my responsibilities this summer (besides learning how to blog!) is helping Matthew, our CSA coordinator. I look forward to these days, packing shares for the World Peas Cooperative for distribution in East Boston and Andover. My first memory would have to be being greeted with big smiles and warm handshakes by some of the farmers. It was a hot, humid day and they had been out since early that morning harvesting for the distribution. Despite the weather and fatigue, they couldn’t contain their pride in the crops they were offering as they talked to Matthew and signed receipts. I walked into the cooler for the first time and was overwhelmed by the wonderful smell of just-harvested green onions, cilantro, and other greens. We try to pack carefully yet efficiently so Matthew can make his drive without hitting too much traffic.
While packing, we can’t help but exclaim every time we pull back the cover of a bushel basket, or open a tote about how beautiful the vegetables look, or how fantastic they smell. Every single time, it never fails. As I place beautiful vegetables in each box, I wonder how the shareholders feel when they pick up their share. Do they feel anticipation in uncovering the contents of their box? Do they wonder what recipe they will use to feature a certain green? Do their kids get involved and get excited too? I’d like to hear from you, share with us your CSA experience.

Seona at last Friday’s Lowell Market

This entry was posted in CSA. Bookmark the permalink.