I Don’t Want Summer to End

My summer is over. Labor day is right around the corner, meaning that all across the country parents of school-aged children are stocking up on school supplies, college students are gearing up for the new academic year, and I have orientation next week. I realized on Tuesday that it would be my last day helping pack the shares and I wanted a way to remember that afternoon. I had forgotten my camera again, but the camera phone did a decent job as a substitute:

If you want to taste summer, try these recipes:
Çoban Salatası
(My friend, Memet, gave me this Turkish salad recipe and warns to make more than you think you can possibly eat.)
Chop:
Cubanelle peppers
Cucumbers
Tomatoes
Flat leaf parsley
Scallions (optional)
Add to taste:
Olive oil
Lemon juice
Salt
Toss together to combine. Eat! Of course, flavors will have a chance to meld if you wait a couple hours, but who can wait that long?
I’m a huge fan of one pot dishes, fresh vegetables, and whole grains. Here’s one to make when you’re starving and need something nourishing and very quick.
Quinoa Pilaf
In a medium-sized pot over medium heat,
Saute in olive oil:
1/2 small onion, small dice
After a couple minutes add:
1 cubanelle, small dice
1 small summer squash, small dice
1-2 small garlic cloves
3 scallions, chopped, white and green/white parts reserved for end
Season with salt, pepper, and herbs. I used a Mediterranean blend to supplement the fish I was going to have it with.
Toss in 1 cup rinsed quinoa, let it get toasty. Add about 1.5 cups water. Can even sub 1/4 cup of water for white wine. Bring to a boil, and then bring down to a simmer for 15 min. Let it rest for a few minutes. Fluff with fork. Top with quartered cherry tomatoes, the green part of the scallions, some slivered almonds.
The possibilities with this are endless. Use whatever is in your fridge. Here’s an idea, instead of sauteeing the vegetables in the beginning, grill them, then chop and add to already cooked quinoa. Serve with some fish, or top it with a fried egg.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.