Today, many different organizations promote world peace in various ways. Most world peace organizations work in the area of research, education and/or advocacy. However, as elaborated below, some organizations take a different approach. For example, music proves to be a popular tool for supporting world peace. Musicians without Borders, Musician Peace Corps or Harmony for Peace Foundation all use music to create a better and more peaceful world. Apart from music, religions, international artists and leaders have also contributed to the rise of world peace organizations.

Religion & Spirituality

The Religious Society of Friends, commonly known as the “Quakers”, is one of the oldest movements advocating nonviolence and world peace. Starting in the 17th century in Great Britain, the group has expanded significantly and Quaker organizations can now be found in almost every part of the world. Over the years, Quakers have played an important role in the abolition of slavery, women’s rights and world peace.

The World Prayer Society approaches religion for peace from a different angle. The organization’s most illustrious activity is their yearly Flag Ceremony at the United Nations General Assembly. During the ceremony, each UN Member State is honored by raising its flag and offering it a prayer for peace. 

Artists & Famous People

Numerous famous actors and artists are participating in promotions and campaigns for world peace. One of the organizations linking international artists and bands such as Whoopi Goldberg, Dave Matthews, The Counting Crows and Nelly Furtado together is WP1 (World Peace One), a grassroots and institutional world movement that strives for unity, nonviolence and world peace. The organization is mainly famous for its global super concerts, “Performers for Peace.”

Apart from the many artists singing for world peace, various leading figures in the field of international relations have started their own peace organization or have inspired the creation of a new peace organization. For example, the King Center for Nonviolent Social Change is dedicated to the memory of Martin Luther King. Likewise, the M.K. Gandhi Institute is named after the legacy of nonviolent resistance led by Mahatma Gandhi. Some world leaders even have more than one world peace organization. Archbishop Desmond Tutu’s work has led to the founding of at least four different peace organizations. The Tutu Foundation UK and the Desmond Tutu Peace Foundation are based on Tutu’s teachings on peace and reconciliation. The Archbishop Desmond Tutu Centre for War and Peace Studies brings together academics who work on issues related to peace and conflict in order to strengthen the link between theory and practice. In addition, Desmond Tutu himself founded the Desmond Tutu Peace Centre, together with his wife Leah.

Other

Some world peace organizations are more difficult to categorize. A small but fascinating category concerns organizations that view food as an essential ingredient for peace, this category will be explored further in a forthcoming essay.  For now, one example: The World Peace Diet stresses the importance of food and vegan values. According to the organization, a more enlightened and peaceful society can be achieved by structural changes in diet. Similarly, the Massage for Peace Company emphasizes how touch is essential to life and well-being, stating that “if everybody had a massage, there would be no war”.

Tagged with:

5 Responses to The World’s World Peace Organizations

1. You are invited to attend a trial set for Wednesday, Sept. 18 at 9AM at the Lubbock County Courthouse, 904 Broadway, Lubbock, on the 4th Floor with Judge Judy Parker presiding.

A civil trial, it is unusually compelling as a microcosm of our great ideological conflict in America in pitting a fundamentalist conservative trustee of an estate as defendant against the holder of the estate, his atheist liberal sister who has been denied all but 3% of her $30,000 inheritance from her mother by him for the last seven years.

Ruth Calabria is representing herself at the trial after many failed efforts to find even one lawyer in the conservative bastion of Lubbock willing to represent her against her brother, Don Graf, a senior law partner in McClesky, Harriger, Brazill and Graf, the oldest and arguably most powerful law firm in West Texas. Her complaint against her brother is that he is using his power as trustee to withhold her inheritance in order to break her of her liberal attitude and bring her back to the conservative mindset she was raised in by their fundamentalist minister father. Indeed, her brother told her a week after the will was probated that she would never see a penny of it unless she left her evolutionary biologist political activist husband of 40 years.

The details of the suit and of the family history of conservative versus liberal squabbles over the last 40 years are fascinating particularly with regard to how they’ll affect the outcome of the trial set to determine whether Don Graf will be removed as trustee for not acting in good faith as regards the welfare of Ruth Calabria who, in being deprived of her inheritance money, is currently living on food stamps and on the edge of homelessness at age 72.

These and other details of the case are described in story form on our website, http://www.matrix-evolutions.com,which also includes a mathematical analysis of America’s bitter conservative-liberal divide.

We informed Judge Parker a month ago that we would be inviting the media to attend and she raised no objection. It should be an interesting trial.

Sincerely,Ruth Calabria 714 Ave. Q, Lubbock, TX 79401 (806)765-8847

2. kainat says:

My name is kainat khan I am 15 years old I am a student of 10th class. I
    have memorized the HOLY QURAN at the age of 11 when I was 11, I started
    working for peace among children. At the age of 12, Nowshera (KPK) is my
    village, when it was flooded, I worked to solve the problems and helped
    the people of my village.
    When I was 13 years old, I established an NGO on my name the
    Organization
    name is KAINAT WELFARE ORGANIZATION, I am against those terrorist who
    brain wash the children and make them criminal minded and use them for
    their purpose. I do not want to see guns in the hand of children’s; I
    want to see the hands of children in education. By so far, I taught more
    than seven hundred children about what is the best way to be human. I am
    the youngest girl in the world, who is the chair person of an NGO and
    deal. It at the same time, I am Tennis player at Pakistan level. I
    started playing tennis while was 12, I also played Malaysia Field Cup, I
    also wrote a book on tennis which title is “TENNIS AND KAINAT”. I got
    first prize for this book. After that I wrote a book on “Peace” which
    title is “Aman and kainat”. I distributed this book in countless numbers
    in schools so that it can bring peace to our children. In English
    language my book is “WAY TO PEACE” in which I tried to build a positive
    image of Pakistan and which has positive messages for children children
    of World. I am voice to those women who are murdered in the name of honor
    and face oppressions. I am kainat khan. Actually I want to work and see
    peace in Pakistan as well as in all over the world. I have faced many
    challenges in my life and I hope you people will encourage me.

THANK YOU

3. Michael V. Caldwell says:

Google, (Children Seeking World Peace short film script)

If you like it spread it around and use it change it any way that you would like. Use it in School Plays or film it, I am the Only Author of this and give everyone my written permission to use it.

Respectfully, Sincerely, Michael V. Caldwell

“Always Striving To Be Part Of The Solution” The Solution To World Peace Starts With Our Children..THE WORLDS NEXT GENERATION and it is up to the Children and their Parents to change it.

4. Ann Palmer says:

Hi,

I send you my Christmas Eco-prayer. It’s free-to-use, on Christmas cards, whatever. Please use it if you can. Thank you.

Christmas Eco Prayer
    (to the rhythms of the Lord’s Prayer)

Our Gaia, your Winter Solstice
    heralds Christmas time.
    Stars in our eyes, fire in our hearts,
    on earth, as it is in visions.
    Grant us the Great Christmas Blessing -
    birthing joy, love, peace and oneness.
    An everlasting carol sung each New Year
    to unite culture and creation
    in a Christmas spirit passion.
    For ours is the power
    to create such a future.
    Real reverence
    for Earth.

Ann Palmer
    Website: gaiadancebooks.com

5. Asnake Tibebu says:

Let us keep united for Love and Peace to make the world a better place to live for every every one of us! I am to make my contribution for the good to outshine! Thank you for your perfect inspiration! keep strong!