Sailing Event Log: Fleet Racing
Event: Oberg Trophy @ MIT Date: 24-25 October 2009
Skipper/Crew: Course: Harry Anderson/WLW
A Division Nicolas Russo-Larson/Jory Hanseman
B Division Massimo Soriano/ Adam Weisman
C Division Nate Rosenberg/Madeline Luce
Conditions: Saturday: no races due to lack of wind. Sunday: 5-12 from the Northwest (Oscillations between West and North).
- Good starts allowed us to play the middle which was imperative for a good first beat.
- Getting flushed out to the right was almost always a deal breaker.
- Even though they used the i-flag all day, everyone could have pushed the line harder. In B, for example, there was only one boat recalled after the start.Upwind:
- Inconsistent holding of shifts.
- While some boats made huge gainson substantial left or right shears, playing the middle would result in a respectable windward mark rounding every time.
- Had to sail into the header a little bit in order to not sail out of it once one had tacked.
Boathandling / Speed:
Done well: Downwind:
• Kept a positive attitude after bad races • Find the puffs but don’t chase them
which allowed us to step up our game
as a team.
too aggressively; they fill towards the
• Figured out, planned and executed a middle.
strategy early on.
• Harry Anderson: mark roundings are
critical. Concentrate on setting up