Space is the Place
Just another sites.tufts.edu weblog
Space Binding
Categories: Uncategorized

In Japan, there is a word that mean both space AND time: “MA” (). That’s just plain cool.

Now let’s practice.

A Himorogi is a Shinto alter. What makes Himorogi different from votives of the Virgin Mary, for example, is that Himorogi is all about the binding and demarcating of “empty” space (I know you looking at the tree and saying “that’s not empty” but just work with me). In Shinto, kami spirits can be coaxed into descending form the heavenly plain to inhabit an empty space, and maybe even bless you. So how do you make one of these little spirit magnets? Easy: you just bind some empty space and in the center, place a natural object for the spirit to hang out in when they get here. Once you’ve demacated the space, you’ve made a sacred field, so don’t go reaching inside, ok?

Screen shot 2010-10-20 at 1.48.48 PM

In the west, we’re all about the thing itself. Statues statues are solid, like our buildings and our images of Jesus. Lot of people talk about how the Japanese love the “ephemeral,” but I think the more interesting preference is their attention to rich, fertile, emptiness.

8,112 Comments to “Space Binding”

1. Great website! I am loving it!! Will come back again. I am bookmarking your feeds also

2. whoah this blog is fantastic i really studying your posts. Keep up the good work! You realize, many persons are searching round for this info, you can help them greatly.

3. You need to participate in a contest for the most effective blogs on the web. I will recommend this web site!

4. chess rules says:

The struggle between happiness and unhappiness is the story of human existence. The wrestle between peace and conflict is the history of the human race. The facility that leads us to everlasting victory amid these struggles is the power of fine inside us.

5. Victor1954 says:

Thanks a lot for giving everyone an extremely terrific opportunity to read critical reviews from this website. It’s always so great and as well , packed with a great time for me and my office colleagues to visit your website minimum three times in a week to read the newest guides you will have. And lastly, I’m at all times fulfilled concerning the attractive strategies you give. Some 3 facts on this page are undeniably the simplest we have ever had.

Welcome to my blog combined mega porno ru.

6. ipad specs says:

How would you like to win a Free Ipad 2? Well we found a site that is giving away Ipad 2 if you complete some surveys or offer.t’s an excellent offer but we are not too sure they are going to keep it up. As you know ipad 2 is an excellent new version of the ipad and there are limited quantities at the moment!If you’re looking to Buy ipad why not try out this free ipad offer first.

7. free cam sex says:

Yes you can …Today is Your new birth The National Cancer Institute documents that millions of Americans have illness problems caused by smoking. cigaret smoking and exposure to tobacco smoke cause an estimated average out of 438,000 premature deaths each year in the United States. Of these premature deaths, about 40 percent are from malignant tumor, 35 percent are from cardiovascular disease and stroke, and 25 percent are from lung disease. Smoking is the leading cause of premature, preventable death in this state. Regardless of their time of life, smokers can well reduce their endangerment of disease, including cancer, by switching to e-liquid . Today is your Chance to begin the move towards changing. Let e zigarette lead your way down that road.

8. Hey very nice blog!! Man .. Beautiful .. Amazing .. I will bookmark your blog and take the feeds also…. TY a ton for posting, it was very informative and helped tons. Amazing Added Amazing.

9. So Mi mommy had Mi son last night I get him back n we go to drop mi sis off n she takes him again OMG I NEVER get mi own son WTF????

10. Senesha1963 says:

I would like to show my respect for your generosity in support of women who actually need assistance with in this subject. Your very own commitment to getting the solution all over became extremely useful and has usually allowed people just like me to get to their targets. The valuable report entails this much a person like me and much more to my mates. Thank you; from each one of us.

Welcome to my blog pain of arthritis ibuprofen

11. There is obviously a lot to know about this. I assume you made some nice points in features also.