UIT-AT is currently working on upgrading our WordPress 2.8 installation to WordPress 3.
Here are the highlights of what the new version will bring:
- WordPress and WordPress MU have merged, allowing the management of multiple sites (called Multisite) from one WordPress installation.
- New default theme “Twenty Ten” takes full advantage of the current features of WordPress.
- New Custom Menu Management feature, allows creation of custom menus combining posts, pages, categories, tags, and links for use in theme menus or widgets.
- Custom Header and Custom Background APIs.
- Contextual help text accessed under the Help tab of every screen in the WordPress administration.
- Ability to set the admin username and password during installation.
- Bulk updating of themes with an automatic maintenance mode during the process.
- Support for Shortlinks.
- Improved Custom Post Types and Custom Taxonomies including hierarchical (category-style) support. (Try the Custom Post Type UI or GD Custom Posts And Taxonomies Tools plugins to see the possibilities.)
- A lighter admin color scheme to increase accessibility and put the focus more squarely on your content.
- Check required php and mysql versions in the update and notify if the server environment does not meet those requirements
- New wp_login_form() provides a simple login form for use anywhere
- New WordPress logo for admin header
- Place “Search Engines Blocked” mini-alert in the wp-admin header to prevent people from accidentally delisting themselves
- Remove ‘Turbo’ link from admin header and remove Turbo section from the Tools->Tools panel
- Renamed various menu items, for example Posts->Edit becomes Posts->Posts, and Links->Edit becomes Links->Links, and so on
- Revised administration menu icons
- Revised Gray Admin Color Scheme
- Revised information in
- Show login form upon email-sent for recover/reset passwords
- Add link so user can visit Dashboard after core upgrade
- Move Tools->Upgrade menu option to Dashboard->Updates and overhaul of user interface so themes, plugins, and core upgrades under one panel
- New menu management (navigation) via Menus option under Appearances Menu (#11817)
- Password nag for newly registered users
- Split Right Now widget into Content | Discussion
- Allow for removing all tags in quick edit
- Allow themes to style the visual editor with editor-style.css file, using add_editor_style() function
- Enable custom taxonomy UI for pages as well as for posts
- Improved revision comparison user interface
- Shortlinks enabled, but still requires a plugin or theme support to fully realize this feature
- Added capital_P_dangit() filter to change ‘WordPress‘ to ‘WordPress‘.
- Add FunnyOrDie.com oEmbed support
- Allow Deletion of Media Alt text
- Change Media UI labels from “Post Thumbnails” to “Featured Image”
- Cleanup of the edit media screen
- Don’t let “Crunching” overlap image name while uploading
- Optimize scan for lost attachments
- Support for additional file type extensions (Changesets 12581 and 13349)
- Order link categories by name, not count, on Add New/Edit Link page
- Add additional columns to the Posts Comments view
- Allow configuration of number of comments to display Recent Comments dashboard module
- Block comments for future posts and password protected posts (when password not provided)
- Change to comments UI to show when a comment is replying to another, and link to the parent comment