|Name of Activity||Amusement Park Ride|
|Keywords||amusement park, ride, NXT, prototype, mechanical engineer, engineering design process, safety, constraints, build, program|
|Subject and Grade Level||NXT, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8|
|Time||2 Hours Total|
|Lesson Objectives:||– To apply building and programming techniques to a design challenge.|
|Materials Needed:||– NXT LEGO Kits.
– Computers running NXT-G MINDSTORMS software. Be sure correct firmware is downloaded onto NXTs.
– Assortment of extra LEGO pieces, people, motors, and sensors.
– Extra Pieces Request Sheet (optional).
– Engineer’s Planning Sheet and Final Design Sheet (attached, or make your own).
– Engineering Design Process visual (attached, or make your own).
– Art supplies for students to decorate and extend on their LEGO design.
– Poster and art supplies for students to make an advertisement of their ride (optional).
|Preparation and Set Up:||– Collect necessary materials.
– Photocopy worksheets.
– Arrange students into groups of 2.
– Decide how you will distribute extra pieces.
– Write design requirements on the board.
NXT Ferris Wheel
|Extensions or Modifications:||– Have students create more complex rides with more sensors and motors.
– Have students design and create an advertisement for their ride to attract customers to the amusement park.
|Design Plan Worksheet||http://sites.tufts.edu/stompactivitydatabase/files/formidable/Building_Design_Sheet1.pdf|