|Name of Activity||Build a Tower|
|Keywords||Simple Machines, sturdy shapes, structure, beam, brick, plate, axle, bushing, connector peg, sturdy shapes, triangles, bracing|
|Grade Level||K, 1, 2, 3|
|Time||1 Hour Total|
|Brief Description||- Students will build a tower that is at least 4-6 inches high. The tower must be sturdy enough to hold up a book/stack of books.|
|Lesson Objectives:||- Familiarize students with sturdy building using their LEGO Simple Machines kits.
- Use sturdy shapes to build a structure.
- Build engineering/LEGO vocabulary.
|Materials Needed:||- LEGO Simple Machines kit.
- Stack of books.
- ‘Engineer’s Planning Sheets’.
- ‘Engineer’s Final Report’ Worksheet.
|Preparation and Set Up:||- Make enough copies of each worksheet for the class.
- Collect a book/stack of books to use for testing.
- Gather a couple of rulers to test tower height.
- Arrange students in pairs.
- Distribute materials.
|Necessary Background||The engineering design process is an eight step process that engineers use to design:
Step 1. Identify the need/problem
Step 2. Research the need/problem
Step 3. Develop possible solutions
Step 4. Select the best possible solution
Step 5. Construct a prototype
Step 6. Test and evaluate the solution(s)
Step 7. Communicate the solution(s)
Step 8. Redesign
|Extensions or Modifications:||- Have students build a tower that will support the students weight/hold more books.
- Have students build a taller tower.
- Build a structure that can pick up a stack of books.
- Using a baseplate for this lesson may be helpful for students.