|Name of Activity||Building Strong Shapes|
|Keywords||Triangle, square, braced square, LEGO, Simple Machines, sturdy, beam, brick, plate, axle, bushing, friction peg, connector peg, axle extender|
|Grade Level||K, 1, 2, 3|
|Time||1 Hour Total|
|Lesson Objectives:||– Familiarize students with specific LEGO building strategies and any new pieces.
– How to use pegs (friction and connection).
– Building a triangle and a square.
– Bracing with beams.
– Teach the names of LEGO building pieces.
– Reinforce knowledge of shapes.
|Brief Description||Students will be guided through this activity, building a triangle, a square, and a braced square using LEGO pieces. Students will then attempt to build a sturdy box on their own with LEGO pieces from their kit.|
|Materials Needed:||– LEGO Simple Machine kit.|
|Preparation and Set Up:||– Construct example shapes.
– Arrange students in pairs.
– Distribute LEGO kits.
|Extensions or Modifications:||– Introduce measurement and have the students measure their creations using different units.
– Build the widest/longest structure.
– Build the shortest structure using only 10 pieces.
|Sample Image 1||http://sites.tufts.edu/stompactivitydatabase/files/formidable/sturdy1.png|
|Sample Image 2||http://sites.tufts.edu/stompactivitydatabase/files/formidable/sturdy2.png|