|Name of Activity||Moving Through the Mantle|
|Keywords||igneous rocks, mantle, transport, NXT, earth|
|Grade Level||K, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6|
|Time||1 Hour Total|
|Brief Description||To build an extension to the Magic School Bus that will clear a path through the igneous rocks to gravel through the mantle and transport passengers.|
|Lesson Objectives:||– To design a structure that is capable of moving objects.
– To program the “School Buses” to travel for a given length of time.
|Materials Needed:||– Pre-Constructed LEGO NXT cars (from lesson 1)
– Various LEGO pieces
– Pre-assembled tunnel (of cardboard, book lining sides and a board for a top.
– Pieces of sponges to represent igneous rocks
– Miscellaneous objects (for extensions)
– Computers running MINDSTORMS
|Preparation and Set Up:||– Lay out sponge pieces in a path.
– Construct a tunnel with an opening that is wide enough for an NXT vehicle to fit through.
– Set up computers running MINDSTORMS.
– Arrange students in groups of 2 – 4.
– Distribute NXT cars and LEGO kits.
|Extensions or Modifications:||– Program the NXT to play a song once it gets through the mantle.
– Try moving heavier objects in place of igneous rocks.