|Name of Activity||Retrieving the Core|
|Keywords||core, earth, magnetic, sample, NXT, invention, earth’s core, magnet|
|Grade Level||K, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6|
|Time||2 Hours Total|
|Brief Description||Students will use their NXT vehicles they built in lesson 1 to retrieve a sample of the magnetic core of the Earth.|
|Lesson Objectives:||– To learn about the layers of the Earth.
– To build a retrieving device.
– To travel to the “Core”, retrieve a sample and travel back.
|Materials Needed:||– Engineering Design Sheet
– Pre-constructed NXT vehicles (from lesson 1)
– Computers running MINDSTORMS software
– Additional motors
– LEGO building pieces
– Pre-built model of the Earth’s core with magnets dispersed around
– The Magic School Bus: inside the Earth by Joanna Cole
– Lego Reflection Response Sheet
|Preparation and Set Up:||– Create and set up a model Earth (ideas and photos attached).
– Collect materials
– Make copies of activity worksheets
– Engineering Design Sheet
– Engineer’s Programming Sheet
– Programmer’s Icon Sheet
– Arrange students in groups of two
– Give each group their NXT vehicle, an extra motor, extra LEGO pieces (you can also give them a magnet and tape for their retrieval device)
|Necessary Background||Attached is a sheet with references that have information about the layers of the Earth.
Note: If this lesson is going to be taught in 2 class periods, this is a good time to stop.
|Extensions or Modifications:||After retrieving the sample of the core, turn the Magic School Bus around and go back
through the mantle and the crust to the surface of the Earth.