|Name of Activity
||pulley, effort, load, Simple Machines
||K, 1, 2, 3
||1 Hour Total
||Students will learn the basic concept of a pulley and how it is used to life weights.
||- To familiarize students with pulleys.
- Introduce a simple machine.
||- LEGO Simple Machines kits.
|Preparation and Set Up:
||- Photocopy one worksheet per student.
- Gather materials.
- Arrange students in pairs.
- Distribute materials.
||Pulleys are simple machines that allow us to lift heavier loads by increasing the distance
required to lift the load (just like levers).Vocabulary:
- Have students design a pulley on a lego wall that will lift a load up off the table to the top of the wall.
- Let student brainstorm what their pulley should look like.
- The pulley should have a string wound-up to an axle on the base of the pulley structure.
- The pulley should have a solid base and wall to support the pulley wheel when the weight is being lifted.
- If possible (depending on age and ability), students should build a container to place the weight in at the top of the wall.
- If possible, the pulley should be able to rotate to move the weight into the box at the top of the wall.
- Have students brainstorm by drawing out their design on their activity worksheet.
- Have students build and test their designs.
- When everyone is done let students demonstrate their designs.
- Discuss how pulleys make lifting the object easier.
- Discuss difficulties and successes students had in this activity.
|Extensions or Modifications:
||- Make the pulley work by using a motor.
Switch to our mobile site