Making Weather Instruments
4 small paper cups
2 cardboard strips per student
Pencils with erasers
- Students first make a thermometer:
- fill a plastic bottle with equal parts of tap water and rubbing alcohol to about an eight to a quarter full.
- Add food coloring.
- Place a straw in the bottle and sue modeling class to seal the straw to the bottle so that the straw stays in place making sure it does not touch the bottom of the bottle.
- Have students place their hands on the bottle and observe what happens to the liquid in the straw.
- Cut the edges off of four paper cups to make them lighter.
- Color the outside of one cup with a pen.
- Take two strips of cardboard and cross them so they make a plus sign and staple them together.
- Use a ruler to draw lines across the cardboard and where the lines intersect is the center of the cross. Staple the cups to the end of the cardboard making sure they all face the same direction.
- Push a pin through the center of the cardboard and attach a pencil to the pin, sticking the eraser to the pin.
- Blow on the cups to make sure the cardboard spins freely.