|Name ofActivity||Shipwrecked: Dirty Water|
|Keywords||environmental engineering, water, IEL|
|Subject||Building/EDP, Earth Science|
|Grade Level||4, 5|
The HMSS Endurance just shipwrecked 100 miles from Antarctica. Sir Shackleton and his crew (the class) are stranded and must engineer essential survival needs from items they have on their boat.
SCENARIO: In order to survive, the crew recognizes the need for water before anything else (shelter, food) can be built. Their matches sunk with the ship, so the crew cannot build a fire to melt ice for drinking. The crew finds a bucket of dirty water in the galley wreckage, but it is filled with oil, rice, tea, and other nondrinkable materials. The deck captain finds a medicine kit with cloth, medical tape, cotton balls, eye droppers, sticks, and a few other items.
ENGINEERING: The crew must design a solution using these materials to create clean, drinkable water.
|Learning Goals:||Students learn about water filtration, water quality, and teamwork in the context of “Shipwrecked at the Bottom of the World” by Jennifer Armstrong
Based off of Detective – Environmental Engineering
- Classroom presentation about scenario, engineering design process, and discussion of importance of clean water
Materials per group:
|Preparation:||-Mix dirty water ahead of time
-Divide materials into bags for each group
-Arrange students in groups of 3
|Knowledge Background||1. Design scenario in context of Shipwrecked 2. Discuss importance of water quality with students|
|Procedure||1. Students discussed the importance of clean water and health.
2. Class was presented with Shipwrecked scenario and design challenge
3. In groups, students sketched a plan for their water filter design.
4. Students worked in groups with the materials provided to design and test their water filter.
5. STOMPers rotated around classroom, prompting questions to guide discussion and reflection about results.
6. Last 10 minutes of class, each group took turns sharing their designs, successes, and challenges.
|Umbrella Unit/Curriculum (if applicable)||Shipwrecked!|
Currently viewing the category: "1 Hour Total"