|Name of Activity||Follow Hand- Ultrasonic Sensor|
|Author||Leiny Garcia and Kenny Westerman|
|Grade Level||4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9+|
|Time||1 Hour Total|
|Brief Description||Students have to program the car robot to follow a hand or object.|
|Lesson Objectives:||Introduce the Ultrasonic sensor while using prior knowledge of programming, including loops and switches.|
|Materials Needed:||LEGO NXT kit
|Preparation and Set Up:||1. Distribute NXT kits and computers
2. Pair up students
3. Worksheet to brainstorm programming
|Necessary Background||Programming with switches and loops|
|Procedure||1. Introduce how the ultrasonic sensor works if needed 2. Review programming with switches and loops 3. Introduce activity. Explain that the robot needs to follow the hand. When the hand is too far, then the robot must move forward. If the hand is too close, then the robot must stop. 4. Distribute materials 5. Program and test. 6. Final Demonstration.|
1. waits until touched, then moves forwards for 5 seconds.
2. waits until touched, then moves backwards for 5 seconds.
3. waits until touched then goes forwards for 1 s and backwards for 1 s.
4. waits until touched then goes forwards for 1 s and backwards for 1s every time you touch it. (have them put the whole thing in a loop!)
5. waits until touched then goes forwards for 1s and backwards for 1 s over and over (put just the movement bricks in a loop)
6. moves forward until it is touched, then it stops.
7. moves forward until touched, then stops, then starts again when touched, over and over. (like an on/off switch)
8. moves forward until touched, then wiggles/slithers forward, then stops when touched again