|Name of Activity
||Whale Adaptations: Creature of the Sea
||design, creature, adaptation, ocean, problem-solving, sturdy structure, moving parts
||Non-LEGO, LEGO Building
||K, 1, 2, 3
||4 Hours Total
||Students will use LEGOs to design a creature that is adapted to life in the ocean.
||To apply engineering problem-solving strategies to creat a sturdy structure with LEGOs that has a least one moving part.
To demonstrate an understanding of animal adapations by designing a creature with features adapted to life in the ocean to help it breathe, eat, move, protect itself, and adjust to warm and cold temperatures.
||Sea Creatures Design Brainstorming sheet
Sea Creatures Design Worksheet
Our Sea Creature Paragraph planning Worksheet
|Preparation and Set Up:
||Make photocopies of worksheets.
Arrange students in groups of two.
Distribute necessary materials.
- Introduce the concept of animal adaptations, with a focus on whales. (e.g., blowholes for breathing, blubber for warmth and feeding in winter, baleen teeth for eating, fins/flippers/flukes for moving though water, warm blood for keeping warm)
- Review different types of adaptations that would help different creatures survive in the ocean. (e.g., clam shells for protection, bird’s wings and hollow bones for flight, cat’s whiskers for feeling)
- Have each student fill out a sea creature adaptation brainstorming sheet.
- Have students get into their groups and combine ideas to make come up with a sea creature that the group wants to design. Each design should have at least one element from every group members original brainstorm.
- Students should complete a Sea Creature Design Worksheet as a group.
- Distribute kits and allow students to start building.
- Each student should write a paragraph describing his/her creature. They will include a name for their creature and at least 3 features that are an adaptation to life in the sea.
- Students will present their work to the class, demonstrating and describing all adaptations.