|Name of Activity||Amusement Park Ride|
|Keywords||amusement park, ride, NXT, prototype, mechanical engineer, engineering design process, safety, constraints, build, program|
|Subject and Grade Level||NXT, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8|
|Time||2 Hours Total|
|Lesson Objectives:||- To apply building and programming techniques to a design challenge.|
|Materials Needed:||- NXT LEGO Kits.
- Computers running NXT-G MINDSTORMS software. Be sure correct firmware is downloaded onto NXTs.
- Assortment of extra LEGO pieces, people, motors, and sensors.
- Extra Pieces Request Sheet (optional).
- Engineer’s Planning Sheet and Final Design Sheet (attached, or make your own).
- Engineering Design Process visual (attached, or make your own).
- Art supplies for students to decorate and extend on their LEGO design.
- Poster and art supplies for students to make an advertisement of their ride (optional).
|Preparation and Set Up:||- Collect necessary materials.
- Photocopy worksheets.
- Arrange students into groups of 2.
- Decide how you will distribute extra pieces.
- Write design requirements on the board.
|Extensions or Modifications:||- Have students create more complex rides with more sensors and motors.
- Have students design and create an advertisement for their ride to attract customers to the amusement park.
|Sample Image 1||http://sites.tufts.edu/stompactivitydatabase/files/formidable/57_image_3.jpg|
|Sample Image 2||http://sites.tufts.edu/stompactivitydatabase/files/formidable/57_image_9.jpg|
|Sample Image 3||http://sites.tufts.edu/stompactivitydatabase/files/formidable/Amusement_park.doc|
|Sample Image 4||http://sites.tufts.edu/stompactivitydatabase/files/formidable/Building_Design_Sheet1.pdf|
|Sample Image 5||http://sites.tufts.edu/stompactivitydatabase/files/formidable/Final_Design_Sheet1.pdf|