The Tufts UIT Academic Technology Fellows are a group of students who work closely with the Tufts community to identify and implement technological solutions to meet educational and scholarly goals. They produce their own blog at http://sites.tufts.edu/atfellows.

Here is what the Fellows have written about since the last TLR Innovationsnewsletter:

Livescribe Smart Pen (an audio recorder and note-taking device) by Rebecca Wood-Spagnoli

I’m always looking for new and improved ways to take notes. One tool I came across a few years ago and now can’t imagine living without is the Livescribe Smart Pen. This clever little pen connects the words that are recorded with whatever you are writing at that time. When you go back to listen to your notes, you can skip to anywhere you’d like within the notes by pressing the corresponding writing. Whether you are in a meeting or attending a lecture, this is a great asset because you no longer need to worry about copying down every little bit of information. With Livescribe you can attend to whatever is being said knowing that you can go back and review later on. Read the full article…

RescueTime (a time management application) by Samujjal Purkayastha

Out of all that we are tested on in college, one skill that we are continuously tested on but never really taught is time management. In this piece, I will introduce you to one particular tool that has immensely helped me manage my time better, and I am confident it will help you, too. Read the full article …

Cacoo (a web-based user interface and graphic design tool) by Kristen Ford

In the past, when I’ve needed to create charts or diagrams, I’ve used traditional programs like Visio and even PowerPoint. However, recently I discovered another tool that tends to stand out from the rest – Cacoo. Read the full article…

Tools for CS Students (a review of a few code editing tools) by Sam Purcell

As someone who writes code for work and pleasure, I find that the amount of code I produce is directly related to the efficiency of my tools. Having the right tools for a variety of jobs is very important. This first became a necessity when I started doing projects for computer science classes. Sure, vim and emacs are time-tested editors with tons of features, but if you’re not well-versed in them, learning to use them can take hours that you just don’t have. The purpose of this blog post is to explain and review a few tools that I use on a daily basis. They increase my productivity, streamline my workflow, and minimize my frustration. Hopefully they can do the same for you. Read the full article…

Why I Can’t Live Without My Giant Paperweight (an appreciation of the iPad) by Rebecca Wood-Spagnoli

I’ll be the first to admit that when it comes to iPads, I’m a hypocrite. When they first came out, I was most definitely of the school of “that’s just a ridiculously large iPod – what an expensive paperweight!” Since that initial year of disbelief, I’ve grown into an iPad addict. Now Julia (yes, my IPad does have a name) travels with me everywhere and my poor laptop gets opened maybe every three or four days. So why the big shift? Well, I’ve discovered that my iPad can do some really great things for me and not just when it comes to entertainment! Read the full article …

Trunk from a New Perspective (reflections from a student turned instructor) by Rebecca Wood-Spagnoli

This is my second year as an AT Fellow so I’ve gotten pretty familiar with Trunk over the past year. So when my application to teach a Perspectives class was approved, I was so excited about all of the great utilities I could use with Trunk! Of course, my dreams of grandeur were soon replaced by stark reality; when it comes to teaching, especially a brand new class, there’s a lot of work that goes into it. I have a new appreciation for all the work professors put into making their Trunk course sites viable. Read the full article…

Windows Live Movie Maker (review of Microsoft’s video editing software) by Hao Wan

Don’t be shy: you have the artistic talent in your blood. You have a unique view of the surroundings. How about making a piece of video art in your style? You can definitely manifest your character, implicitly or explicitly, through the music, pictures, and video clips you have selected for your piece of art. What you need is simply a technical nudge on the back: here we have a simple yet powerful tool, Windows Live Movie Maker. Read the full article…

LinkedIn (review of the professional networking service) by Ezra Dunkle-Polier

When I had the opportunity to have an internship in Washington, D.C., this past summer, all I heard about was the importance of networking. For years, that meant attending events, passing out business cards, and scheduling coffee dates. Recently, however, online career networking on LinkedIn has taken off and serves as a vital resource to both younger and older professionals. Read the full article…

Smart 2nd-Grade Classroom (teaching engineering to elementary school students) by Kristen Ford

Over spring break last year, I had the honor of working with a group of Tufts students at a public school in Harlem, New York. There I taught 2nd-grade students robotics and engineering using three main tools, namely WeDo, Smartboard, and Legos, which are explained in detail below. Read full article …

Doodle (review of the web-based scheduling tool) by Michael Lesser

When I’ve needed to arrange a meeting with a group, I would often find myself in a situation similar to the following: one person proposes a time, some people may agree, but then someone says it doesn’t work for them and proposes a different time, and this process may continue several times until a time that works for everyone is determined. In many cases, this cycle takes place over a messaging tool such as email or text messaging, which causes delays while the group waits for everyone to respond to each other. I recently started to use Doodle and found that this process, which should be fairly simple, can be handled much more efficiently. Read the full article…

AT Fellows, UIT Educational & Scholarly Technology Services

Share →

Looking for something?

Use the form below to search the site:

Still not finding what you're looking for? Drop us a note so we can take care of it!

Visit our friends!

A few highly recommended friends...

Disclaimer | Non-Discrimination | Privacy | Terms for Creating and Maintaining Sites