Post-Workday Eats

After an afternoon of moving dirt and cinder blocks for the new shed, I picked some collard greens from the garden for a dinner treat. Greens in hand, I headed home to dream up something delicious.

Pretty successful…

I’d made a batch of cashew cheese that morning, so I decided to make pizza. My farmer’s market hauls this week resulted in beets and asparagus, which seemed like excellent topping choices to me. The cashew cheese was pretty simple. I let 1 1/2 cups of raw, unsalted cashews soak in salted water for about 18 hours (overnight) and then I drained them and tossed them into the blender with 2 cloves of garlic, 2 tbl of nutritional yeast, 6 tbl of water, a little lemon zest, and the juice of 1/2 a lemon. That went into the fridge to set for a while and I made pizza dough!

Pizza Dough

1/2 teaspoon active dry yeast
3/4 cups lukewarm water
2 cups all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt

Mix the yeast into the warm water and then combine that mixture with the flour, olive oil, and salt. Stir gently. Form into a ball and then set aside to rise for an hour (covered in plastic wrap, in a warm place).

While the pizza dough rose, I sliced up a large beet and stemmed some asparagus and tossed in olive oil, salt, and pepper. I roasted those on a cookie sheet for about 15 minutes at 350.

After an hour, I took the pizza dough out of its bowl and gently stretched it onto a greased cookie sheet. I set the oven at 525 as I topped the dough with hot sauce, a bit of cashew cheese, the sliced beets and asparagus, and thinly sliced ribbons of collard greens. I turned the oven up to 550 and put the pizza in for about 10-12 minutes.

Spicy and sweet.

The collard greens got perfectly crisp!

A pretty perfect end to a satisfying work day. The toppings were nice and crisp, but the cashew cheese kept the crust from drying out. I have about a handful of collard greens left and I’ll be trying to figure out some use for them tomorrow (as wraps for faux sushi? just on sandwich? sauteed in garlic?). As the summer goes on, I’m sure we’ll be coming up with more delicious concoctions from the garden and sharing them!

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.