rainrainrainrainrainrainrainrainrain part 2

Things got a little crazy and I’m a little behind on the updates. But the shed is standing! And here’s why:

The shed with all the wood in it and a tarp as a makeshift roof.

Two weeks ago, tireless Mariana spent several days digging out mud. Because it rained. Every day. But she knew she was leaving for Spain on that Sunday so she oh-so-kindly- spent the most miserable of days digging 3 foot deep holes so we could get the rebar it. “Why not just pound the rebar in?” you might ask (I did). Because there are a bajillion rocks per square foot in that soil (mud) and only the luckiest of the luckiest could have pounded a 3.5′ long rebar into the ground without striking one and feeling the shock-wave resonate through their bones. And so she dug. And the rain fell. And I came after work to help a little, but it wasn’t much compared to Mariana’s hours of work and mounds of dirt (mud) to show for it. Before she had to leave, we got the rebar in. It didn’t look like much, but oh, we were proud. And sore. And soaked.

It wasn't much to look at, but that rebar isn't going anywhere for a long time. And it's deceptively dry in this picture.

Once the rebar was in, the next step was to pour concrete to level the ground and secure the cinder blocks. But concrete setting and rain… they just don’t go together. And Mariana was leaving to soon! She couldn’t just spend a day kickin it! Not when there was a shed to be built! So in a feat of efficiency, Mariana and Mariah assembled part of the shed (but not all of it because we still had to move it on to the foundation… whenever that might be done). Oh, it was gratifying to see some semblance of a shed start coming together!

The partially-assembled shed.

Then she was off. Mariana left for Spain, but Liam came up from DC for a visit… and some manual labor. I got him out on a couple beautiful (read: hot.) mornings pouring and mixing concrete. As Liam put it, our work was “a little bootleg, but it did the trick.” Over the course of two days, we secured the cinderblocks in the ground (level and all!), made friends with the guy at Hillsides Hardware (Him: “I got this slushie beside where you get your nails done, you get your nails done?” Me: “Not since I was really little…” Him: “You’re still little!” Me: Sigh.), and cemented carriage bolts into the cinder blocks.

One of the carriage bolts in it's final position, with a nut and washer to hold the floor fast.

The bolts stuck out of the cement, which wasn’t so hard to engineer. The tough part was getting them to match the distances of the holes Mariana had drilled for them in the floor of the shed. We triple measured everything, and we did an OK job.

I sent out a beacon (text) to abled-bodies far and wide to move the great shed. I got a great crew. With very few problems (trees in the way and the delicacy of guiding all the bolts through all the holes), we landed the shed on the foundation. And it’s sturdy! We’re going to have to wait for Mariana to get back to put the roofing on, but later this week some of the team that helped move the shed is going to finish priming all the wood and maybe we’ll stick the rest of the walls on (in need of a drill)! I’m so excited to have a shed, and I’m so excited to have friends working together to make it happen!

The team that moved the shed. LOVE.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply