What to do with all those banana peppers. Or at least what I did.

So the banana pepper plant went CRAZY. So I had a lot of banana peppers in my house. I appreciate them, but I’m not very excited by them. I’m not even really sure I’ve had them on anything besides sandwiches… UNTIL NOW.

I know I love cheese stuffed things. I know I love fried things (yeah, this is not a healthy food I’m about to show you). And Betty here (she’s a little odd) had this great little recipe for the fry batter for frying up banana peppers. I took the liberty of stuffing my peppers with mozzarella, although I think next time I’d like to have a stronger cheese.

This is Betty’s batter:

Capsicum annuum (Banana peppers are a cultivar of this species) and seeds

1 cup self-rising flour
1 egg, well beaten
1 cup milk
1/4 cup vegetable oil
sweet banana peppers, washed, dried, seeded with pulp removed, and cut into serving pieces
2 inches of cooking oil in a deep fryer or pot on the stove (I used peanut oil.)
In a large mixing bowl, combine 1 cup self-rising flour, 1 well-beaten egg, 1 cup milk, and 1/4 cup vegetable oil. Stir completely, or blend with an electric mixer. Have your sweet banana peppers prepared for cooking.

(My “prepared banana peppers” were seeded through a slit part-way down the side, then stuffed with grated mozzarella cheese, but not enough to force the slit to stay open.)

Heat 2 inches of oil in an electric deep fryer or a pot on the stove to somewhere between 345 degrees and 375 degrees. With tongs, dip pepper pieces in batter, allowing excess batter to drip into bowl, and then transfer to hot oil. You may fry several pieces at the same time. Fry until golden brown on both sides, and then remove with tongs or other utensil and place on paper toweling to drain. When all pieces are fried and removed, pat the upper side to remove any further excess oil… THEN FEAST.

The photo is a little blurry but these bad boys were delicious!

(Reduce/Reuse/Recycle: You can save frying oil by waiting for it to cool, then straining it through a coffee filter and storing it in a bottle. I label mine “frying oil” so people don’t get confused)

ANDDD… The garden now has a little gate (a little bootleg, but we love it). It’s mostly to deter the GIANT RABBIT that’s hanging around.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.