Greetings garden lovers! It’s been a while since this blog has been used, but I’m still going to try to get it back up and running. My name is Nick, and I’m the current president of Tom Thumb’s Student Garden at Tufts University. We are a student-run gardening collective that produces sustainably grown food for three seasons of the year. We place importance on garden education and frequently hold discussions about various topics in botany and pollinator ecology during our Wednesday evening meetings. We provide a place where students can get away from the rush of school and relax for a short while, regain their thoughts, get their hands in the dirt, and harvest some delicious produce. If you want to visit, we’re located just across from South Hall.

I’m sure you’re anxious to find out how the garden fared over Boston’s record-breaking winter, so here’s brief update: Luckily, our garden did not take a terrible beating. A few of the beds collapsed from beneath (more on that later), but both our greenhouse and shed continue to stand tall. Although some of the sage suffered broken branches and only 1/5 of the garlic we started in October successfully sprouted, our onions, self-seeded arugula, and bulbs (e.g., grape hyacinth, globular alliums, tulips) were quick to emerge once the snow pack melted.

We’ve also started a bunch of different fruits and vegetables up in the greenhouse. This year we went for more weirdos (e.g., cool heirloom tomatoes, Japanese eggplants etc. list to follow) than sheer productivity, so I’m curious to see how much food we actually get. We’ve been keeping track of our seedling’s progress in our trusty blue book, so I’ll transfer that over to this log shortly.

Today was our first official work day of the year. We had 5 pairs of hands weeding the beds, raking leaves, and praising the glorious spring sun. Overall it was a successful afternoon, and we even planted a variegated honeysuckle (Lonicera periclymenum) to grow around the arbor (I was planning on getting a trumpet vine, but I was unsure if the arbor could withstand its weight after a few years of thick growth). This honeysuckle, although not native, is a non-invasive favorite of bees; still, we should keep a close eye on it next year to make sure it doesn’t step its boundaries.

Next week is the garden club’s day of service with Tufts GreECO reps. We’ll be building two new beds for the garden and removing a few smaller ones that have gone into disrepair. In addition, we’ll be crafting seed bombs and planting a pollinator garden. It should be a fun day of gardening and bonding (even if it’s supposed to be a little rainy).

All for now, but stay tuned. I’ll be posting garden musings, photos, tips, guest blog posts, and pretty much any other seeds that cross my mind throughout our growing season.

-N