Tufts Environmental Health and Safety (TEHS) promotes health, safety and environmental protection in teaching, research, public service and administrative activities by providing training, advice and other compliance assistance. Tufts EHS provides leadership in developing and supporting high quality programs that allow students, faculty and staff to protect themselves from potential health hazards they encounter at the University. In addition, TEHS staff has the expertise needed to direct efforts toward compliance with health, safety and environmental laws and regulations.
Many individuals are required by local, state and federal law to receive initial and sometimes annual retraining on certain subjects such as radiation safety, laboratory safety, and bloodborne pathogens. Tufts EHS refers to this as mandatory training hence work will not be permitted if this training is not successfully completed.
Tufts has several Safety Committees such as the Institutional Biosafety Committees (IBC). These Committees are authorized to require specific training for your protection and the protection of the community.
In summary, the goal of TEHS is to provide guidance to every manager, supervisor, employee, and student of Tufts University so that a safe, healthful and environmentally sustainable learning environment is achieved and maintained. An important element in achieving this mission is providing education and training on regulatory awareness.
TO GET STARTED…
To enroll in an online course, please log into the Tufts Learning Center.
Please see the lists below of our available online and Instructor-Led Trainings, check the upcoming training schedules or to review other training materials we offer.
Learning Center On-Line Training
- The Tufts Learning Center is an educational tool designed to fit all the training and professional development needs of Tufts University faculty and staff. This program, which can be accessed by Tufts Faculty and Staff only, allows for the delivery of Tufts specific trainings via audio and visual means of communication. User-driven web based e-learning courses (WBT) offer the flexible convenience of any-time scheduling along with the benefits of working at a pace that suits your learning style. In addition, the Learning Center will keep track of all of your scheduled, in-progress, and completed courses. The program also will provide users an account in which to manage and maintain historical records of your training.
- Lab Safety Awareness
- Safety Orientation
- Preventing Strain Injuries in Laboratories
- Radiation Safety Awareness
Instructor Led Training Description and Schedules
Instructor Led Courses require registration
- As part of Tufts University’s commitment to maintaining a safe environment where we can learn, work, and live without threat of violence, the university has established Tufts Threat Assessment and Management (TTAM) teams. TTAM teams are responsible for threat assessment and management activities on behalf of the university. To learn more about the program, how to recognize threatening behavior, and how to report such behavior to TTAM, please visit http://sites.tufts.edu/ttam.TTAM Training Resources
- Laboratory Safety Training Checklist
TEHS has developed the Laboratory Safety Training Checklist to assist each lab/department in assessing which trainings have been taken and which ones are still required. This checklist is designed to simplify and clarify the current laboratory safety training requirements for new and current Tufts laboratory staff members. Responsibility for laboratory safety lies within you and your supervisor. We encourage you to review the checklist with your supervisor and, based on your job function, discuss your training requirements.
- Training Materials DVD or VHS available for loan
(contact x6-3615 for assistance)
- Tufts EHS Training Matrix
- Learning Center Instructions and Tips
- Class sizes are limited and certificates of attendance are provided at the end of each session. Please contact email@example.com to reserve your spot.
Additional Training Information and Documentation