Trunk Tips Newsletter May 2012
The shells for 2012 summer and fall courses are now available in Trunk for faculty who want to begin working on them. Faculty can locate their summer and fall course sites by logging into Trunk with their Tufts username, using their Tufts Username and Password, and going to their Quicklinks or MySites tab where they should be listed.
The summer and fall course sites are empty and ready to have content added to them. They are also unpublished, so no students will be able to see them until they are published by the instructor. Faculty can follow the same recommended steps for developing summer and fall course sites as was used for previous courses:
- Decide if they want to move course content from Blackboard to their spring course site. If faculty want help with migrating course content from Blackboard to Trunk, they must submit a request as soon as possible at: http://go.tufts.edu/trunkmigration
- Copy course content from another Trunk site to the new course site.
- Attend a Trunk workshop. Getting Started with Trunk and Advanced Workshops are now being held on ongoing basis as well as Open Lab sessions. You can register for a workshop here: http://go.tufts.edu/trunkworkshops.
- Visit the Trunk Support Site at http://sites.tufts.edu/trunksupport to get lots of useful information on Trunk.
Tip 1: Copy Course Content
Some instructors may wish to copy some or all of their course site content from one course site to another course site (for instance, from a fall Trunk course site to a spring Trunk course site).
To copy the content from one course site to another course site:
- Go to the NEW course site.
- Click Site Editor / Import from Site.
- Click I Would LikeTo Replace My Data or I Would like to Merge My Data (read the description of each action).
- Select the course site from which you would like to Replace or Merge your content.
- Click Continue.
- Select the content you would like to Replace or Merge into the new course site.
- Click Finish. The selected content from the old site should now Replace or Merge with the new course site.
- Note: You must have either Instructor, TA or Course Builder access to both course sites to copy content from one course site to another course site.
Tip 2: “Unpublishing” Spring 2012 Courses
Since learning is cumulative, students often find it helpful to have access to courses that they have taken in the past. In Trunk, students can continue to access a course they have taken in a previous semester unless the instructor eliminates access to the course by unpublishing it. To “unpublish” a course after the semester is over, just follow the same steps as to publish: Go to Site Editor > Manage Access, uncheck the “Publish site” box and click “Update”.
Important Information on Blackboard Course Content
Support for the migration of Blackboard content for the 2012 summer Trunk course sites will remain as it was for the 2011/2012 academic year. That is, instructors can request that their course site content be migrated from Blackboard course sites to Trunk course sites via the migration request form on the Trunk Support site (http://sites.tufts.edu/trunksupport/migration-and-training/request-course-site-migration/).
Support for the migration of Blackboard content for the 2012 fall Trunk course sites will remain as it was for the 2011/2012 academic year until October 15, 2012. On October 15, 2012, all of the remaining accounts on the Blackboard server (with the exception of administrative accounts) will be removed from the user database and no instructors will be able to access any of their Blackboard site content.
Trunk support recommends that instructors download to their local computer an archive file for any Blackboard course site that has not been migrated to Trunk during the 2011-2012 academic year. You can find detailed information about archiving a Blackboard course site here.