About the Program
The program that you are applying for involves a full-time, 6 month paid staff position that will be based in one of the Sierra Club’s offices. This period will run from Monday, July 2, 2012 through Friday, December 21, 2012. In addition to your salary, the Sierra Club will pay (up to a certain amount) for your transportation to our office at the start of your employment if you presently reside outside of the area and for your return transportation home at the end of the program if you are not remaining in that city. You will be responsible for your living expenses during the program.
The apprenticeships will be comprised of a variety of work experiences including but not limited to grassroots organizing, administrative policy advocacy and public communications. You will be trained and guided in your job responsibilities by a team of experienced Sierra Club staff. At the end of six months, if you wish to continue working for the Sierra Club, you may apply for job vacancies in any of our offices. Regardless of your choice, we are committed to supporting and assisting you to find your future career path, and we hope that your experience with the Sierra Club will encourage you to seek a career in the environmental movement.
All recent graduates are welcome to apply, and will be given consideration.
The Sierra Club maintains a commitment to building a diverse workforce, and candidates from all backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
In order to be eligible for the Apprenticeship Program, you must be a recent college graduate (within the 12 months prior to the program start date preferred) with a B.A., B.S., or graduate level degree. You are encouraged to apply in advance of your graduation, but will be asked for confirmation that you have completed your degree prior to starting the program. You must be able to relocate to the office to which you are assigned for the full six months of the program. If selected, you will be expected to work full-time for the Sierra Club for six months. Past placements have been in Washington D.C., San Francisco, Chicago,Minneapolis, Austin, and Los Angeles.
Like all Club employees, you will be expected to:
- Be a conscientious, dedicated, and reliable team player.
- Be either a U.S. Citizen, permanent resident, legal resident with a valid work permit, or be able to attain a valid work visa independently to be considered eligible for this program.
- Possess strong written and verbal communications skills.
- Have high attention to detail and be able to follow instructions. This application is your first chance to demonstrate those skills.
For this program, we are seeking people who:
- Have pride in their ability to work well in a fast paced and ever changing environment.
- Have shown leadership in their community, work, or academic experience.
- Have a commitment to learning and a passion for sharing their knowledge and skills with others.
- Are resourceful, self-directed, and results-oriented.
- Respect and value the mission of the Sierra Club, which is to explore, enjoy, and protect the planet.
Instructions for applying
- Complete the online application and upload your essay answers by Friday, February 24th, 2012.
- Provide transcripts, letters of recommendation, and proof of graduation (if you have already graduated). Documents must be received by Friday, March 9th, 2012.
Click here for more information!