Sustainable Endowments Institute, special project of Rockefeller Philanthropy Advisors
Location: Harvard Square, Cambridge, Massachusetts
The Sustainable Endowments Institute (SEI), a special project of Rockefeller Philanthropy Advisors, seeks highly motivated and reliable individuals for a full-time Research Fellowship this summer. The fellowship positions will be 10-12 week fellowships starting on June 4, 2012. Flexible scheduling arrangements can be considered in certain circumstances.
The Sustainable Endowments Institute is a nonprofit organization engaged in research and education to advance sustainability in campus operations and endowment practices. Founded in 2005, the Institute is a special project of Rockefeller Philanthropy Advisors. Located in Harvard Square, Cambridge, our office is easily accessible by public transportation. We encourage applicants to familiarize themselves with our project websites before applying: GreenBillion.org and www.GreenReportCard.org.
The Research Fellow’s responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
· Conducting weekly communications with a network of college and university administrators and students
· Coordinating information and working with other Research Fellows and Institute staff on current and new research
· Conducting web research on sustainability programs
· Reviewing, verifying, and updating previously gathered material
· Data analysis and entry
· Developing innovative outreach strategies to connect with new constituencies
· Assisting with communications outreach for the Billion Dollar Green Challenge, SEI’s new initiative to encourage colleges to invest a combined total of one billion dollars into self-managed green revolving funds to support on-campus sustainability and energy-efficiency projects
· The internship will culminate in a final white paper on a specific topic related to green revolving funds, including: food and dining projects, student-led initiatives, water efficiency, lighting efficiency, and endowment investment-related issues
· Demonstrated experience with advancing sustainability on campus or in communities
· Strong oral and written communication
· Ability to strategically navigate the internet and conduct comprehensive and targeted research
· Proficiency in Word, Excel and Google Docs
· Ability to succinctly summarize data
· Excellent organizational skills, attention to detail
· Work experience with college and university administrators on campus-oriented projects
· Flexible and cooperative work ethic
· Experience designing and administering surveys, or coursework in survey methodology
· Ability to work both independently and cooperatively as part of a team
· Strong background related to one of the following: food and dining projects, student-led initiatives, water efficiency, lighting efficiency, or endowment investment-related issues
Competitive compensation commensurate with experience.
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis. For the best chance of being offered a Fellowship position, applicants should apply as soon as possible.
Candidates should submit a resume, cover letter, and writing sample as Microsoft Word or PDF file attachments. Send to Mark Orlowski, Executive Director at the following email: jobs(at)endowmentinstitute.org.
Please address the following questions within the body of your cover letter:
· How did you hear about the fall SEI joint research and communications fellow opportunity?
· Why are you interested in working for the Sustainable Endowments Institute?
· What experiences—work-related or otherwise—have you had on the topic of environmental sustainability in higher education?
· What set of skills or experiences have you had working with college and university administrators and /or other student leaders on campus?
· Do you have any experience in succinctly summarizing and explaining large amounts of data?
· What are you hoping to gain from a position at SEI?
Want to know more? Check out the website.