Community Development Council of Greater Memphis (CD Council) is a coalition of organizations and individuals who support the development and redevelopment of safe, healthy, and attractive neighborhoods throughout the Memphis region. CD Council is seeking a full-time program coordinator to manage and assist with a wide variety of projects and activities that are part of the organization’s Livable Memphis program.
The CD Council team works intimately with one another in a dynamic, close-knit environment. We seek a colleague who will blend with, and bolster, our existing relationships. Building on our existing strengths, our ideal candidate would:
- work quickly to meet immediate needs while balancing efficient use of time;
- work independently while being responsive to the needs of CD Council staff;
- be a creative problem-solver with a high standard of quality.
1. Coordinate the activities of the Walk-Bike Memphis initiative, including:
- arranging and staffing monthly member meetings.
- engaging bicycle clubs, businesses, and related organizations in the WBM work.
- assisting the Livable Memphis program manager on the Overton-Broad connection project, which will connect Overton Park to the Shelby Farms Greenline with an innovative on-road bike facility.
- assisting the Livable Memphis program manager with public policy activities related to walk-bike advocacy, such as the development of a Complete Streets policy.
- planning and implementing other projects with a variety of WBM stakeholders, such as the city’s bike-ped coordinator, Memphis Center for Independent Living, Greater Memphis Greenline, and many other citywide and neighborhood-based organizations.
2. Develop a volunteer program for Livable Memphis and coordinate outreach activities at fairs, festivals, and special events such as Bike to Work Day.
3. Manage the organization’s email marketing program, and assist with other marketing activities such as web sites, social media, and the Thrive newsletter.
4. Manage the membership program, including entering new members into a database, tracking membership renewals, handling member requests for information and assistance, etc.
5. Assist in planning and implementing Livable Memphis and other CD Council events, including Pizza with Planners, the annual Summit for Neighborhood Leaders, and monthly CD Council member meetings.
6. Assist in implementing the organization’s policy and advocacy programs (focused on transportation and land use, blight elimination, neighborhood redevelopment and other issues) by conducting research, drafting position papers, etc.
7. Assist in implementing the organization’s fundraising plan, including grant research and writing, special events, and annual appeals.
Qualifications and Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in urban planning, public administration, public policy or related field preferred
- Proficiency in typical office computer hardware and software required. Experience in Publisher, Access, and GIS a plus.
- Strong writing skills.
- Comfortable working with a wide range of individuals – including grassroots leaders, funders, and elected officials – as well as in a variety of neighborhoods types.
- Knowledge of urban planning/development and neighborhood revitalization issues desirable.
- Energetic and enthusiastic attitude.
- Ability to work occasional evenings and weekends.
This individual will work under the day-to-day direction of the Livable Memphis program manager with administrative reporting to the CD Council executive director.
$28,000 per year plus health and benefits allowance.
Interested candidates should send their resume accompanied by a cover letter to email@example.com. Resumes will be accepted until April 1, 2012.