ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Cambridge DPW seeks a qualified individual to develop and supervise a summer youth program. The supervisor will work with a group of approximately 15 high school students to lead and coordinate educational activities to support learning and work objectives related to energy efficiency and environmental sustainability, and to help these students develop a final project that reflects what they have learned by participating in the program. Specific duties include but are but are not limited to the following:
* Develop and implement a project-based curriculum on a variety of sustainability topics, including energy measurement, transportation, urban eco-systems (including forests, water and agriculture), and waste reduction
* Supervise students on a daily basis.
* Schedule internal and external partners, guest speakers, and site visits into the weekly schedule.
* Adapt materials and activities based on the needs of the students.
* Assist students as they work to develop their final project, which will be a web-video.
* Ensure professional presentation and behavior of students on daily basis.
* Work to integrate 21st Century Skills into program activities.
* Assess student skill development and evaluate effectiveness of various activities throughout the program, making adjustments to proposed activities based on this assessment and evaluation.
* Experience working with youth in informal or experiential education setting
* Demonstrated experience with group facilitation and team-building
* Enthusiasm and flexibility; ability to “think on one’s feet” to revise and/or adapt to curriculum and schedule changes.
* College coursework in environmental science, urban planning, or education preferred. Bachelor’s degree preferred. Equivalent experience may substitute for education.
* Solid basic skills in reading, writing, science, and mathematics
* A demonstrated interest in environmental and energy issues
* Familiarity with Cambridge preferred
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: Must make site visits, which involves walking, bending, squatting, reaching, pulling, pushing, and climbing. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: Classroom setting.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED: Supervised by DPW Assistant Commissioner for Administration
HOURS PER WEEK: 20 hours/week; 10 weeks, June through mid- August
Internal applicants submit a job bidding form and 2 copies of both your resume and letter of interest; external applicants submit 2 copies of both your resume and letter of interest by 8pm on the closing date via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org or to Personnel Dept, Room 309, City Hall, 795 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge MA 02139. Fax 617-349-4312
THE CITY OF CAMBRIDGE IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER. WOMEN, MINORITIES, VETERANS, AND PEOPLE WITH DISABILITIES ARE STRONGLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.
CITY OF CAMBRIDGE RESIDENTS ESPECIALLY ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.