Every year, MassCommute and MassDOT recognizes employer’s efforts toward making a more sustainable Massachusetts at the Massachusetts Excellence in Commuter Options (ECO) Awards. Tufts University was named a Pinnacle employer at the 2012 Massachusetts ECO Awards last month.
There are three levels of recognition depending on the number of transportation benefits programs an employer offers: Pacesetter (at least 4), Leader (at least 7) and Pinnacle.
Tufts was recognized in last year’s ECO Awards as a Leader and moved up this year to become a Pinnacle employer.
The Office of Sustainability would like to thank in particular our sustainability advocates in Human Resources, Public Safety, and Facilities for supporting the initiatives that made it possible to win the ECO Award.
Below is a list of transportation benefits that Tufts offers:
Pacesetter (entry level) – Tufts offers 6 of 7 options
- Offer & promote the Statewide Ridematching system (NuRide – currently 38 members from Tufts, slowly increasing)
- On-site bicycle parking
- Flexible work schedules
- Hold one commuter transportation event per year
- Commuter information and transit schedules in a centralized location
- Commuter information in new hire packets
Leader level (Tufts got this last year) – Tufts offers 7 out of 15 options
- Guaranteed/Emergency Ride Home Program
- Commuter tax benefits (pre-tax)
- Preferential vanpool or carpool parking spaces (now available in Dowling garage thanks to Louis Galvez and Shiela Chisholm at Public Safety!)
- Provide a team for the Bay State Bike Week/MassCommuter Bike Challenge - currently 33 participants and counting!
- Provide on-site bicycle repair and/or maintenance (fix a flat) supplies (through Tufts Bikes)
- On-site amenities (food service, dry cleaning, ATM/bank, child care, news stand, or other relevant service) (Tufts offerings are in italics)
- Showers and lockers for employees (in the gym and a few select locations on campus)
Pinnacle (top level) – Tufts offers 4 out of 9 options
- Shuttles from transit stations, either employer-provided or through a local TMA or similar service provider (the Joey)
- Subsidized membership in a carsharing program (Zipcar)
- Secure bicycle parking (cage or lockers) – currently only in the garage
- Subsidized bicycle sharing membership (Tufts is FREE!)