Mystic River Watershed Association will offer a Citizen Scientist Training Workshop on Wednesday, June 13th, 6-8pm in Somerville. This Workshop allows interested volunteers to learn about water quality monitoring methods and concepts. By completing this workshop, you’ll be prepared to join MyRWA’s Baseline Monitoring Program. The Baseline Monitoring Program requires a monthly commitment between 6am and 8am. No experience is necessary – all are welcome!
Space is limited - you have to register for this event. To register email Beth@MysticRiver.org today!
Entries due by July 1
The Union of Concerned Scientists is launching the 2012 UCS Science and Democracy Editorial Cartoon Contest. We’re seeking cartoons that explore the complex relationship between science and democracy in America.
Twelve cartoons will be selected as finalists to be featured in the 2013 UCS Science and Democracy Calendar. Then, we’ll ask the public to choose the best cartoon, which will go on the calendar’s cover. Each artist who submits an entry that is chosen as a finalist will receive a cash prize.
Check out the contest web page for more information about entering and guidance on relevant topic areas. You can also see some wonderful cartoons from our previous contests.
Application due: June 15, 2012
A Better City (ABC) is a nonprofit membership organization that provides the business and institutional leadership essential for ensuring progress and tangible results on transportation, land development, and environmental investments that are vital to sustaining and improving the Boston area’s economy and quality of life.
The intern will build, grow and maintain ABC’s Challenge for Sustainability website and social media, review and update Sustainability Toolkit, and develop case studies to promote the accomplishments of Challenge participants.
June 18, 2012 – August 15, 2012
Website & Social Media
- Design and develop content for Challenge for Sustainability web pages
- Design case studies page
- Design and program homepage and category homepages
- Grow Challenge for Sustainability LinkedIn group
- Facilitate and increase best practice sharing utilizing LinkedIn
- Ensure that Challenge for Sustainability partnerships’ directories are current
- Update and maintain Toolkit pages
- Add new content identifying participants for each item under “local businesses that adopted this”
- Promote toolkit to sustainability media websites
- Evaluate toolkit for potential for Web 2.0 as an online research community
- Develop template for presenting case studies
- Identify Challenge participant success stories and best practices, gather data, and coordinate with participant to develop case study
- Experience with social media and community based social marketing
- Experienced web designer
- Interest and knowledgeable of fields of sustainability, transportation and urban planning
- Software – Dreamweaver, web based blogging, Constant Contact
- Bachelor’s Degree in or a strong interest in the fields of web design, social media, environment, and web 2.0
- Part Time or Full Time (maximum 200 hours)
- $10 per hour
- Tangible communications experience in upcoming professional field of community management
- Opportunity to grow portfolio with living websites
- Direct experience in business sustainability field
- Connections with Boston’s major employers, Fortune 500 companies, government stakeholders and Boston’s civic engagement community
If interested, e-mail a cover letter and resume to Megan Ramey at email@example.com.