Application deadline: August 3, 2012
The Watershed Management Division of the Cambridge Water Department is seeking an enthusiastic, self-motivated individual for the position of Watershed Management Assistant. The Watershed Management Assistant will support the Watershed Protection Supervisor in reservoir, tributary, and construction site monitoring and aid the Watershed staff with office and field activities. This position provides on-the-job training, opportunities for independent research, and experiences in natural resources management, field data collection and analysis, and watershed protection.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Assist Watershed Protection Supervisor with water quality monitoring;
• Conduct in-stream flow measurements;
• Manage water quality monitoring databases and assist with Annual Source Water Quality Report;
• Maintain and calibrate field equipment;
• Conduct construction site and dam inspections, as well as haz-mat spill response equipment inventories;
• Review site plans and draft comment letters
• Create GIS maps and develop/edit spatial data;
• Update Watershed Division website;
• Create posters, presentations, brochures, and other outreach materials for Watershed projects;
• Perform other duties as they arise.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
Candidate must have a Bachelor’s degree in one or more of the following areas: biology, hydrology, ecology, environmental sciences, or related natural sciences field. Must be proficient with Microsoft Office programs, ArcGIS. Strong Excel and Access skills a plus. Candidate must have the ability to work in field conditions on a daily basis, regardless of weather. Strong writing and verbal communication skills and attention to detail a must. Must have a valid driver’s license. Experience with water quality monitoring equipment, GIS/GPS, environmental sampling, water resources management desirable. Boating experience a plus.
The Watershed Management Assistant will lead and assist in field sampling, so must be able to carry up to 25 lbs over rugged terrain, walk distances in wooded areas, and bend. Both office setting and field work will be required.
Rate: $34,723 yearly salary, health insurance, 13 paid holidays
One year position, 40hrs/week
Please send a cover letter and resume to David Kaplan at email@example.com<