Product Stewardship Institute (PSI) is conducting cutting-edge work on product stewardship and sustainability, and seeks an upbeat, energetic, and dedicated individual who thinks creatively, works well independently and collaboratively, and thrives in a fast-paced entrepreneurial organization. PSI’s communications intern will primarily assist in the implementation of various initiatives to expand the depth and breadth of our communications, marketing, and outreach to new and current audiences. All PSI interns work on a variety of tasks, which will allow them to become informed about current stewardship programs across various product categories and industries. PSI staff members assist interns in developing one or two specific projects for which the intern can take primary responsibility. Interns also perform some administrative assignments, as do all staff. There are significant learning opportunities pertaining to substantive initiatives.
Application Due Date: August 31, 2012 (however, applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, so interested applicants are encouraged to apply ASAP)
Time Commitment: Approximately15- 20 hours/week with a possibility of additional hours or a full-time opportunity during breaks and summer.
Potential tasks might include:
- Assist in the development and distribution of press releases, articles, newsletters, promotional materials, email blasts, etc.
- Assist in the maintenance and further development of the recently redesigned website.
- Help with the ongoing development and implementation of new social media communication strategies.
- Assist in the development of short videos highlighting health and environmental impacts of products such as electronics, pharmaceuticals, fluorescent lamps, batteries, etc.
- Organize and help maintain national contact lists and databases to enhance the organization’s ability to communicate with its constituents,
- Assist in ongoing outreach to members and partners to ensure a continued high level of member and partner service.
Interns should have excellent organization and communication skills, both written and oral, and be passionate about moving toward a more sustainable future. Ideal candidates will have academic or professional experience or knowledge related to marketing and communications, and/or environmental advocacy and policy. Ideal candidates may have an undergraduate or graduate degree in marketing, communications, political science, natural science, environmental science, or a related field. Alternatively, interns may be a degree candidate in one of these areas. Experience with website maintenance, social media, Constant Contact, and other marketing and/or design tools preferred. The intern’s thoughts and ideas will be considered seriously as a contribution to improving the organization as a whole, as well as forwarding its mission.
Product Stewardship Institute, Inc. (PSI) is a national non-profit environmental institute with membership from 47 states, over 200 local governments, and more than 75 businesses, organizations, universities, and non-U.S. governments. PSI establishes cooperative agreements to reduce the health and environmental impacts from consumer products. For more information, please visit www.productstewardship.us
Please send a resume, cover letter, and two writing samples (preferably one short and one long) electronically to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please address all of the following within your cover letter:
- Are you able to reliably meet the minimum time requirement?
- Why are you interested in working on product stewardship Issues?
- Why are you interested in working for the Product Stewardship Institute?
- What in your academic or professional experience makes you uniquely qualified for this position?
- What do you hope to gain from this experience?