The Product Stewardship Institute (PSI) seeks an enterprising individual for fall and winter who thrives in a fast-paced, small organization. PSI is conducting cutting-edge work on product stewardship and sustainability, and seeks interns who have energy, enthusiasm, and creativity. PSI interns work on a variety of tasks, which allow them to become informed about current stewardship programs in a variety of product industries. PSI staff assists interns in developing one or two specific projects for which the intern can take primary responsibility. Interns also perform some administrative assignments, as do all staff. There are significant learning opportunities pertaining to substantive initiatives.
Application Due Date: August 31, 2012 (however, applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, so interested applicants are encouraged to apply ASAP)
Time Commitment: Approximately15- 20 hours/week with a possibility of additional hours or a full-time opportunity during breaks and summer.
Potential tasks might include:
- Conduct research to support ongoing product stewardship projects that have the potential to change the current paradigm of waste management.
- Develop and assist in writing and editing technical documents, and summarizing legislation.
- Update PSI’s website and assist on press and communications.
- Work with PSI members across the country to build coalitions on legislative priorities.
- Assist in developing funding proposals.
- Organize national contact lists and databases to enhance the organization’s ability to communicate with its constituents, and conduct other administrative tasks.
Interns should have excellent organization, analytic, and communication skills, both written and oral, and be passionate about moving toward a more sustainable future. Ideal candidates will have academic or professional experience or knowledge related to environmental advocacy and/or a sufficient background in environmental and public health issues. Ideal candidates may have an undergraduate or graduate degree in policy, political science, natural science, environmental science, law, business administration, economics, or a related field. Alternatively, interns may be a degree candidate in one of these areas. The intern’s thoughts and ideas will be considered seriously as a contribution to improving the organization as a whole, as well as forwarding its mission.
Product Stewardship Institute, Inc. (PSI) is a national non-profit environmental institute with
membership from 47 states, over 200 local governments, and more than 75 businesses, organizations, universities, and non-U.S. governments. PSI establishes cooperative agreements to reduce the health and environmental impacts from consumer products. For more information, please visit www.productstewardship.us.
Please send a resume, cover letter, and two writing samples (preferably one short and one long) electronically to: email@example.com.
Please address all of the following within your cover letter:
- Are you able to reliably meet the minimum time requirement?
- Why are you interested in working on product stewardship Issues?
- Why are you interested in working for the Product Stewardship Institute?
- What in your academic or professional experience makes you uniquely qualified for this position?
- What do you hope to gain from this experience?